Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring JDBC Appender for Log4J?

Hi:

I am interested in using a JDBC appender in a Spring application. I know that there is a version of a JDBC Appender that uses Hibernate already, has anyone created one that can be configured in a Spring application context?

Also, is it best practice to use commons-logging to get to Log4J or use Log4J directly?

Thanks!

Dave

I am interested in using a JDBC appender in a Spring application. I know that there is a version of a JDBC Appender that uses Hibernate already, has anyone created one that can be configured in a Spring application context?
    Certainly make sense. I haven't done it myself, but someone must have...

Also, is it best practice to use commons-logging to get to Log4J or use Log4J directly?
    Good question. I guess the main value proposition of Commons Logging was to allow a choice between Log4j and java.util.Logging under the covers. In practice, it seems that everyone uses Log4j rather than the "standard" way, at least on the server side. So I don't think it particularly matters either way. There may be a greater case for Commons Logging on the client side, to reduce the size of the binaries required.

Of course if you're using Spring or many other projects, you're aready using Commons Logging anyway. Personally I tend to use Commons Logging in application code, but it's no big deal either way IMO.

Rgds
    Rod

Comment

Working...
    X