Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exception with ComboPooledDatasource and OracleLobHandler

I get the following exception:
    DataAccessResourceFailureException: Could not create Oracle LOB; nested exception is org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageE xception: OracleLobCreator needs to work on [oracle.jdbc.OracleConnection], not on [class com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyConnection] - specify a corresponding NativeJdbcExtractor
    On the following Code in a Subclass of StoredProcedure:
    Code:
            public String execute(String data)
            {

HashMap inputMap = new HashMap();
                final OracleLobHandler lh = new OracleLobHandler();
                lh.setNativeJdbcExtractor(new SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor());
                inputMap.put(CLOB_INPUT, new SqlLobValue(data, lh));
                Map resultMap = super.execute(inputMap);
                return (String) resultMap.get(RETURN_VALUE);
            }
    The respective bean configuration for the DataSource is:
    Code:
      	<bean id="pooledDataSource" class="com.mchange.v2.c3p0.ComboPooledDataSource" destroy-method="close">
    		<property name="driverClass"><value>$&#123;jdbc.driverClassName&#125;</value></property>
    		<property name="jdbcUrl"><value>$&#123;jdbc.url&#125;</value></property>
    		<property name="user"><value>$&#123;jdbc.username&#125;</value></property>
    		<property name="password"><value>$&#123;jdbc.password&#125;</value></property>
    	</bean>
    In the Spring API Documentation i read that the SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor has been tested against C3P0 0.8.x.

So at the odds. Any hints, what could be wrong? Probably something simple ;-)
    Christoph

Hi Christoph,

SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor does work with C3P0 0.8.4.5 for me. Could you double-check that SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor actually applies to the operation that throws the exception?

You could also manually test whether extraction works: grab a reference to the ComboPooledDataSource, call getConnection() on it, and see what SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor.getNativeConnection returns for the given Connection handle.

Juergen

Comment

Hi Jürgen,

With the Dao which is configured that dataSource points to com.mchange.v2.c3p0.ComboPooledDataSource
      I do:
      Code:
      Connection conn = dataSource.getConnection&#40;&#41;; 
      System.out.println&#40;conn.toString&#40;&#41;&#41;; 
      SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor xtr = new SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor&#40;&#41;; 
      Connection natConn = xtr.getNativeConnection&#40;conn&#41;;
      System.out.println&#40;natConn.toString&#40;&#41;&#41;;
      for both System.out's i get:
      Code:
      com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyConnection@da6bf4
      The stacktrace points to OracleLobCreator.getConnection() as the last statement:
      testUploadWithCred(com.apgsga.vs.db.UploadClobDaoT est)org.springframework.dao.DataAccessResourceFail ureException: Could not create Oracle LOB; nested exception is org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageE xception: OracleLobCreator needs to work on [oracle.jdbc.OracleConnection], not on [class com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyConnection] - specify a corresponding NativeJdbcExtractor
      [junit] org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageE xception: OracleLobCreator needs to work on [oracle.jdbc.OracleConnection], not on [class com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyConnection] - specify a corresponding NativeJdbcExtractor
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.support.lob.OracleLobHand ler$OracleLobCreator.getOracleConnection(OracleLob Handler.java:362)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.support.lob.OracleLobHand ler$OracleLobCreator.createLob(OracleLobHandler.ja va:330)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.support.lob.OracleLobHand ler$OracleLobCreator.setClobAsString(OracleLobHand ler.java:261)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.core.support.SqlLobValue. setTypeValue(SqlLobValue.java:201)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.core.StatementCreatorUtil s.setParameterValue(StatementCreatorUtils.java:102 )
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.core.StatementCreatorUtil s.setParameterValue(StatementCreatorUtils.java:63)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.core.CallableStatementCre atorFactory$CallableStatementCreatorImpl.createCal lableStatement(CallableStatementCreatorFactory.jav a:193)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.execute (JdbcTemplate.java:625)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.call(Jd bcTemplate.java:654)
      [junit] at org.springframework.jdbc.object.StoredProcedure.ex ecute(StoredProcedure.java:100)
      [junit] at com.apgsga.vs.db.UploadOracleClobDaoImpl$OracleClo bProcedure.execute(Unknown Source)
      [junit] at com.apgsga.vs.db.UploadOracleClobDaoImpl.upload(Un known Source)
      [junit] at com.apgsga.vs.db.UploadClobDaoTest.testUploadWithC red(Unknown Source)
      [junit] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
      [junit] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
      [junit] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
      Could it be that i got something with the configuration wrong?
      Code:
       <bean id="pooledDataSource" class="com.mchange.v2.c3p0.ComboPooledDataSource" destroy-method="close">
      <property name="driverClass"><value>$&#123;jdbc.driverClassName&#125;</value></property>
      <property name="jdbcUrl"><value>$&#123;jdbc.url&#125;</value></property>
      <property name="user"><value>$&#123;jdbc.username&#125;</value></property>
      <property name="password"><value>$&#123;jdbc.password&#125;</value></property>
      </bean>
      Interesting enough the same code works fine against a org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource, which is configured with the same jdbc.properties as the ComboPooledDataSource.
      There i get the System.out's:
      [junit] .org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnection@18235e d
      [junit] oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection@18235ed
      And i get the expected results.
      It work also without problems as expected against org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerD ataSource
      Have i overseen something with the configuration of the ComboPooledDataSource? Or is it the version? I am using c3p0-0.8.5-pre7a. And i just checked the readme, which says
      Version 0.8.5-pre4 and above contains a major, relatively untested, restructuring of
      c3p0's codebase.
      Could that be the problem?

Christoph

Comment

It is a version problem. Just tested against c3p0-0.8.4.5. Works fine.
        Sorry for the noise, atleast at hint at possible compatability problems with c3p0-0.8.5-pre2 and above ;-)
        Thanx for your help,
        Christoph

Comment

Damn, so Steve wraps the connection returned by con.getMetaData().getConnection() now, in C3P0 0.8.5... SimpleNativeJdbcExtractor relies on that connection being unwrapped, which works for a surprisingly large number of pools!

This means that we will need to add a C3p0NativeJdbcExtractor for C3P0 >= 0.8.5. According to the release notes, C3P0 should have a utility method for extracting the underlying native connection now, so a NativeJdbcExtractor should hopefully be straightforward to implement. We'll do this as soon as a stable version is available in the 0.8.5 branch.

Thanks for raising the attention on 0.8.5 :-)

Juergen

Comment

Working...
          X