Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Q: deleting a list from jdbc using template

Hello,
    i want to erase a list of records from a database using Spring JdbcTemplate, However i couldnt find the corect method for that. i know with hibernate it is possible, is there a way to erase a list of objects efficiently using JdbcTemplate? (i would appreciate a tiny example)
    Thanks.

It sounds like you want to issue a SQL "DELETE...WHERE", which you can do via the various update methods of JdbcTemplate.

There is no way in Spring JDBC to delete all objects in a collection from the database. However, that would usually be too be inefficient, as it would involve n JDBC calls, rather than 1.

Comment

thanks a lot. i will use update methods. i think it is fine to me it in n iterations.

Comment

If you don't mind a few roundtrips to the database, then you could use the batchUpdate feature.

Here is an example where we pass in a JdbcTemplate and a List of Customer objects that should be deleted.

Code:
        	private void deleteBatch(JdbcTemplate jt, final List customers) {

int[] actualRowsAffected = jt.batchUpdate(
        			"delete from customer where id = ?",
        			new BatchPreparedStatementSetter() {
        				public void setValues(PreparedStatement ps, int i) throws SQLException {
        					ps.setInt(1, ((Customer)customers.get(i)).getId());
        				}
        				public int getBatchSize() {
        					return customers.size();
        				}
        			});

}
        You need to implement the BatchPrepareStatementSetter with two methods setValues and getBatchSize. The setValues methods gets a PreparedStatment and the index indicating the position in the batch. In our case this corresponds to the position in the List of Customer objects.

Comment

Working...
        X