• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating a new object with safe care

Hi guys,
    My DAO has the following methods:
    Code:
      boolean isAccountExist(Account account);//check if specified account exist in database
      void createAccount(Account account); //save the specified Account object via saveOrUpdate
    In the service layer I would like to have method creating a new account but only when the account doesn't exist yet; something like that:

Code:
    public void createAccountService(Account account)
    {
      if(!dao.isAccountExist(account))
      {
       //***1***
        //other user can create the same account(with the same login name)
        dao.createAccount(account);
      }
    }
    The question is:how can I guarantee that between checking if account exist and creating the account in database (the ***1*** line in the above code snippet), no one create the same account (with the same login name)? I know that I must use transaction, but could you explicite show me how to configure it, please?

Your service layer should be already wrapped transactionally, first of all.

My strategy in the past has been to have the service layer code do a programatic check (via a query) for a duplicate existing username, email, etc.. This throws a checked exception, from which the ui can reover by letting the user type another value, and the service code can throw a different checked exception for each value which is being checked for dupes. Now of course, it is still possible that by the time you commit, anothr thread has inserted a record which would conflict. At that point, I am going to get a DataIntegrityViolationException. I consider this such a rare and unlikely case that I just let this go up as-is to the view layer, to be handled by a general RuntimeException handler there. Depending on the actual usage scenario of the app in question, this may not be a good enough strategy. The service layer could certainly just try to do a commit and catch the DataIntegrityViolationException itself, and then throwing a more specific checked exception.

Regards,

Comment

Just a small addition,

You need to create a unique index on your column (login name) to ensure the DataIntegrityViolationException will be thrown!!!

I also use the same strategy as Colin, this way, you can create new objects using a single round-trip to your database, and let your rdbms check if the record already exist.

Comment

Working...
      X