X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDBC MetaData Through Spring?

I'm looking at using Spring as my DAO framework. I'm tired of writing all the try/catch boilerplate for JDBC and Spring seems like a good alternative to rolling my own yet again.

But for this new project I need to retrieve JDBC MetaData from my database (lists of tables, list of columns/fields in those tables, etc.) and I'm wondering if Spring can do it.

I looked through the API and the docs and I didn't seen an obvious object to use for doing MetaData querying.

But maybe (hopefuly) I'm missing something.

Can anybody comment?

Thanks!

- Gary

I am also encoutering the same problem.I also wonder if there is something in spring can retrieve jdbc metadata for me.

Thanks
    Yoshiyan

Comment

Wouldn't this do what you want?

Code:
           JdbcTemplate.execute(new StatementCallback() {
                public Object doInStatement(Statement stmt) throws SQLException {
                    DataBaseMetaData metaData = stmt.getConnection().getMetaData();
                    // do stuff with metaData 
                    return processedMetaData;
                }    
            });
      Ollie

Comment

Originally posted by oliverhutchison
        Wouldn't this do what you want?

Code:
             JdbcTemplate.execute(new StatementCallback() {
                  public Object doInStatement(Statement stmt) throws SQLException {
                      DataBaseMetaData metaData = stmt.getConnection().getMetaData();
                      // do stuff with metaData 
                      return processedMetaData;
                  }    
              });
        Ollie
        Er.... Yes! Or at least I think so, I'll go try it.

I must confess that I was hoping to have MetaData specific query methods already created instead of having to implement a callback but I think that'll work.

Thanks!

- Gary

Comment

There is a DatabaseMetaDataCallback interface that can be implemented with a callback method named processMetaData. Then you can pass this into the static method JdbcUtils.extractDatabaseMetaData.

Here is an example:

Code:
          	class GetTableNames implements DatabaseMetaDataCallback {

public Object processMetaData(DatabaseMetaData dbmd) throws SQLException {
                      ResultSet rs  = dbmd.getTables(dbmd.getUserName(),null,null,new String[] {"TABLE"});
                      ArrayList l = new ArrayList();
                      while (rs.next()) {
                      	l.add(rs.getString(3));
                      }
                      return l;
                  }
              }
          This is how you would call it:
          Code:
          	    GetTableNames getTableNames = new GetTableNames();
                  try {
                      Object o = JdbcUtils.extractDatabaseMetaData(ds, getTableNames);
                      System.out.println(o);
                  }
                  catch (MetaDataAccessException e) {
                      System.out.println(e);
                  }

Comment

Thanks Thomas

Spring's got so many of these little gems it's easy to lose track. Though it would probably make sense to add an extractDatabaseMetaData method to JdbcTemplate.

Ollie

Comment

Originally posted by trisberg
              There is a DatabaseMetaDataCallback interface that can be implemented with a callback method named processMetaData. Then you can pass this into the static method JdbcUtils.extractDatabaseMetaData.
              Thomas, thanks! That was perfect, the code is working splendidly.

- Gary

Comment

question, does one have to call rs.close() in above call-back class? thanks

Comment

I haven't checked that particular class, but given that other callback based utilities clean up after themselves (like JdbcTemplate), I would guess that this does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wpoitras
                    I haven't checked that particular class, but given that other callback based utilities clean up after themselves (like JdbcTemplate), I would guess that this does as well.
                    ah, ok
                    I hope so, since I would hate to introduce more boiler-plate code (try-finally), kind of defeats the purpose of using the spring jdbc classes

Comment

Working...
                    X