X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDBCTemplate and PrepareStatement

1) Does JDBCTemplate do its own PrepareStatement internally?

I read somewhere that it does but my DBA says that my select statement is running twice because it is not prepared!

Running twice, once to get a the row and a second time to check if the are anymore to fetch!
    Only one row is ever returned but regardless it runs twice.

2) Should I be Preparing all statements I use in Spring!?

3) Is there a simple example to do this?

1. Yes
    2. No.
    3. It already does

If it is running twice you are probably doing something weird or your DBA is expecting something else as you are .

Comment

That's good; so what I think is happening is that each time I call a query it prepares and then executes.
      What I'd like to do is have the query already prepared then each time I call it, it just executes!

Is there a way of doing this?

Comment

I think you have a misunderstanding of what a PreparedStatement is (I suggest a read of the JDBC docs). What you want is to cache PreparedStatements and that is in general a configuration option for your datasource. Also my answer was a bit to straight and actually it depends on which method you use from the JdbcTemplate.

Comment

Hi Martin,

I will refresh my knowledge on the PreparedStatement's but can you expand:
          1) "depends on which method you use from the JdbcTemplate"
          I'm generally using:
          this.getJdbcTemplate().queryForObject(this.inventi onPermId, new Object[] { docId }, String.class);

What should I be using?

2) "What you want is to cache PreparedStatements and that is in general a configuration option for your datasource".
          I'm using the apache driver to connect to Oracle [[org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource]]

i) What configuration are you referring to? Please state this option.
          ii) What driver has this option?

Comment

Working...
          X