Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tx:annotation-driven does not work, but aop:config works

Hi All,

We are using ENV Spring 3.1.1 + JPA(hibernate).

Originally, Everything worked fine including the transaction. We originally utilized aop:config to configure transaction, and it does work.
    <tx:advice id="txAdvice" transaction-manager="transactionManager">
    <tx:method name="*" propagation="REQUIRED" />

<aopointcut id="allManagerMethod"
    expression="execution(**.*(..))" />
    <aop:advisor pointcut-ref="allManagerMethod" advice-ref="txAdvice" />

Now, we want to change to annotation @Transactional, so we removed the above configuration and add
    <tx:annotation-driven transaction-manager="transactionManager"/>.

In our Service concrete class, we put @Transactional ahead. The service class internally will call DAO.

public class Authentication

However, when it call DAO in service's method, we will get Exception, checking log file, the transaction was never started
    java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.SessionException: Session is closed!

The question is, why aop:config worked fine but annotation doesn't work? Is there anything wrong with our configuraion?

Below is the full configuration:
    <bean id="propertyConfigurer"
    class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.Pr opertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
    <property name="location" value="" />

<bean id="logJpaDs" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource"
    <property name="driverClassName" value="${db.driver}" />
    <property name="url" value="${db.url}" />
    <property name="username" value="${db.username}" />
    <property name="password" value="${db.password}" />

<bean id="entityManagerFactory"
    class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerE ntityManagerFactoryBean">
    <property name="dataSource" ref="logJpaDs" />
    <property name="jpaVendorAdapter">
    <bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.Hibernat eJpaVendorAdapter">
    <property name="showSql" value="false" />
    <property name="generateDdl" value="false" />
    <property name="database" value="ORACLE" />
    <property name="jpaProperties">
    <prop key="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.Orac le10gDialect</prop>

<!-- to avoid repeated loading the datasource: use JPA transaction to replace the transaction of jdbc-->
    <bean id="transactionManager"
    class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaTransactionM anager">
    <property name="entityManagerFactory" ref="entityManagerFactory" />

<tx:annotation-driven transaction-manager="transactionManager"/>
    <bean id="hostDao" class="">

<bean id="authentication" class="" autowire="byName">

public class Authentication

private static Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Authentication.class);

private IHostDao hostDao;

public String register(ApplicationInstance applicationInstance, @Context HttpServletRequest request) throws Exception
    {"Enter register");

//1.validate ip from host table.
    String ipAddress = request.getRemoteAddr();
    Host host = this.hostDao.getHostByIpAddress(ipAddress);

public class HostJpaDao{
    protected EntityManager entityManager;

public List<Host> findAllHost()
    Query query = entityManager.createNamedQuery("Host.findAll");
    return (List<Host>)query.getResultList();
    catch(NoResultException e)
    return null;

The "Session is closed" exception is thrown at the RED code.

This issue took me several hours , still could not find the root cause and resolve it, thanks a lot for any of your advice and ideas.

Please use [ code][/code ] tags when posting code, that way it remains readable!

With the tx:annotation-driven tell it to use class proxies and make sure that cglib is on the classpath because you need class proxies as you don't implement interfaces.

Thanks for your response.
      Yes, the @Transactional was set for concrete class, NOT interface, and I double checked that cglib is in the classpath, I think if there is any class missing, I should get ClassNotFound error, now it's "Session is closed" error, and before the Service's class is called, I didn't find any spring's log which indicate transaction is created, I think this is the root cause, seems AOP didn't happen, but the it's really weird, when I use aop:config to configure, it does work, and I could find spring's log which indicate the transaction is started before entering the service's method. I really don't know what's wrong with the tx:annotation-driven.

Could anyone help on this, thanks a lot in advance.
        I tried to remove all unnecessary beans in configuration, and instead of using auto-wire, I configure bean relationship directly in spring configuration file, I tried to move the @transactional to DAO concrete class, still doesn't work, I could not find any log indicating the transaction is started before entering the method, seems the tx:annotation-driven is totally ignored by Spring.