Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data commiited even after readonly=true, please help!!

Hi All,
    I am currently developing a Spring MVC application.I have configured a JDBC TransactionManager and I am doing declarative transaction management using AOP XML.However, even if I configure the method to run on a read-only=true, it still commits the transaction.

Database : Oracle 10g

My database-config.xml

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
    	xmlns:aop="http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop" xmlns:tx="http://www.springframework.org/schema/tx"
    	xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    	xsi:schemaLocation="
    http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans
    http://www.springframework.org/schem...ring-beans.xsd
    http://www.springframework.org/schema/tx
    http://www.springframework.org/schema/tx/spring-tx.xsd
    http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop
    http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop/spring-aop.xsd">

<bean id="dataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource"
    		destroy-method="close">
    		<property name="driverClassName" value="${driver}" />
    		<property name="url" value="${url}" />
    		<property name="username" value="${username}" />
    		<property name="password" value="${password}" />
    		<property name="defaultAutoCommit" value="false" />
    	</bean>

<bean id="txManager"
    		class="org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager">
    		<property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
    	</bean>

<bean id="sqlSessionFactory" class="org.mybatis.spring.SqlSessionFactoryBean">
    		<property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
    		<property name="mapperLocations" value="classpath:com/mybatis/mappers/*.xml" />
    	</bean>

<!--
    		the transactional advice (what 'happens'; see the <aop:advisor/> bean
    		below)
    	-->
    	<tx:advice id="txAdvice" transaction-manager="txManager">
    		<!-- the transactional semantics... -->
    		<tx:attributes>
    			<!-- all methods starting with 'get' are read-only -->
    			<tx:method name="get*" read-only="true" />
    			<!-- other methods use the default transaction settings (see below) -->
    			<tx:method name="*" read-only="true" rollback-for="RuntimeException"/>
    		</tx:attributes>
    	</tx:advice>

<!--
    		ensure that the above transactional advice runs for any execution of
    		an operation defined by the FooService interface
    	-->
    	<aop:config>
    		<aop:pointcut id="fooServiceOperation"
    			expression="execution(* com.service.EmployeeService.*(..))" />
    		<aop:advisor advice-ref="txAdvice" pointcut-ref="fooServiceOperation" />
    	</aop:config>

</beans>
    My controller

Code:
    package com.service;

import java.util.List;

import com.mybatis.dao.EmployeeMapperInterface;
    import com.spring.model.Employee;

public class EmployeeService implements EmployeeBaseService{

EmployeeMapperInterface employeeMapper;

public EmployeeMapperInterface getEmployeeMapper() {
    		return employeeMapper;
    	}

public void setEmployeeMapper(EmployeeMapperInterface employeeMapper) {
    		this.employeeMapper = employeeMapper;
    	}

@Override
    	public Employee getEmployeeById(long empId){
    		//retrieve from database
    		List empList = employeeMapper.getEmployeeWithId(empId);
    		if(empList != null && empList.size()>0){
    			return (Employee) empList.get(0);	
    		}
    		return null;

}

@Override
    	public long saveEmployee(Employee employee){
    		long empId = 0l;
    		if(employee.getEmpId()==0){
    			empId  = new Long( employeeMapper.insertEmployee(employee));
    		}else{
    			 employeeMapper.updateEmployee(employee);
    			 empId  =  employee.getEmpId();
    		}
    		try {
    			System.out.println("gonna sleep");
    			Thread.sleep(10);

} catch (InterruptedException e) {

e.printStackTrace();
    		}
    		return empId;
    	}
    How do I prevent the auto commit.I have also noticed that even if I don't put any transaction management code, the code still commits. Please help. Note, the transaction advice is however,invoked as when I put a no-rollback-for for RuntimeException and then do a 1/0, it correctly commits the data and rolls back if I put the same as rollback-for.
    I have also tried out the query timeout by putting the thread on sleep, even that doesn't work, but I figure that timeout might be for an actual query, so thats fine.
    Please help!!

I am facing with the same issue
    basically I am using cached values (hibernate + ehCache) and it was quite strange to see in the profile that every time it gets connection from the pool it
    1 valdiates that connection is still alive with validation query (SELECT 1)
    2 sets autocimmit to false
    3 commits
    4 sets autocommit to true

and on dev machine every step takes additional 10-12 ms

I tuned up 1, 2 and 4
    so now validation query is run periodically and all connections I create in my pool have autocommit=false by default
    so the only problem left is commit during transactions marked as readonly

is any way to get rid of it?

PS I have a call where I need to get about 15-20 cached entities, so commit on each one would give 15*12ms
    PSS theoretically I can work around it by putting everything to one transaction... but I do not see the reason of commiting read-only transactions

Comment

readonly is nothing. It is a hint which might be interpreted by the JDBC provider. It enforces nothing.

Also your transaction code is flawed as you should never put a try/catch and swallow the exception. The tx management needs to see the exception to enable rollback of the transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Marten Deinum View Post
        readonly is nothing. It is a hint which might be interpreted by the JDBC provider. It enforces nothing.

Also your transaction code is flawed as you should never put a try/catch and swallow the exception. The tx management needs to see the exception to enable rollback of the transaction.
        Thanks Marten. Yes, I know I should have thrown the exception, but ,is there a way to run a query which will not auto commit the transaction? Right now, if I run the update method inside and outside the context of a tx., the effect is the same. Should it be like that?

READ_COMMITTED is supposedly the default isolation level and will suit my purpose quite well. Only if I could just run a query and not see it as being committed. I am using Mybatis as my persistence f/w btw.
        Last edited by ani_anirban; May 7th, 2012, 02:51 AM.

Comment

If there is a transaction then there is a commit regardless of the fact it it is readonly (because that is only a hint nothing more, nothing less). If you don't want a commit don't use a transaction, there is no such thing as a read-only transaction, there is only a transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Marten Deinum View Post
            If there is a transaction then there is a commit regardless of the fact it it is readonly (because that is only a hint nothing more, nothing less). If you don't want a commit don't use a transaction, there is no such thing as a read-only transaction, there is only a transaction.
            Well, I enabled logging and got the following responses :
            #Without TX advice
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG support.HandlerMethodInvoker: Invoking request handler method: public java.lang.String com.spring.controller.EmployeeController.saveEmplo yee(com.spring.model.Employee,org.springframework. validation.BindingResult) throws java.lang.Exception
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Creating a new SqlSession
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@eced18] was not registered for synchronization because synchronization is not active
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceUtils: Fetching JDBC Connection from DataSource
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG transaction.SpringManagedTransaction: JDBC Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver] will not be managed by Spring

[07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG EmployeeMapperInterface.updateEmployee: ooo Using Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver]
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG EmployeeMapperInterface.updateEmployee: ==> Preparing: update employee set firstname= ?,lastname =?, emailid = ? where empId = ?
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG EmployeeMapperInterface.updateEmployee: ==> Parameters: a(String), Bsed(String), cdef(String), 92178039(Long)
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG transaction.SpringManagedTransaction: Committing JDBC Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver]
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Closing non transactional SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@eced18]
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceUtils: Returning JDBC Connection to DataSource
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG support.DefaultListableBeanFactory: Invoking afterPropertiesSet() on bean with name 'redirect:employeeHome.html?empId=92178039'
            [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG servlet.DispatcherServlet: Rendering view [org.springframework.web.servlet.view.RedirectView: name 'redirect:employeeHome.html?empId=92178039'; URL [employeeHome.html?empId=92178039]] in DispatcherServlet with name 'springProj'

#With TX Advice.[07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG support.HandlerMethodInvoker: Invoking request handler method: public java.lang.String com.spring.controller.EmployeeController.saveEmplo yee(com.spring.model.Employee,org.springframework. validation.BindingResult) throws java.lang.Exception
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Creating new transaction with name [com.service.EmployeeService.saveEmployee]: PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,ISOLATION_DEFAULT,-RuntimeException
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Acquired Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver] for JDBC transaction
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Creating a new SqlSession
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Registering transaction synchronization for SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@2423ad]
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG transaction.SpringManagedTransaction: JDBC Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver] will be managed by Spring
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG EmployeeMapperInterface.updateEmployee: ooo Using Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver]
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG EmployeeMapperInterface.updateEmployee: ==> Preparing: update employee set firstname= ?,lastname =?, emailid = ? where empId = ?
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG EmployeeMapperInterface.updateEmployee: ==> Parameters: a(String), B(String), cd(String), 92178039(Long)
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Releasing transactional SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@2423ad]
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Transaction synchronization committing SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@2423ad]
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Initiating transaction commit
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Committing JDBC transaction on Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver]
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Transaction synchronization closing SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@2423ad]
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Releasing JDBC Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver] after transaction
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceUtils: Returning JDBC Connection to DataSource
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG servlet.DispatcherServlet: Rendering view [org.springframework.web.servlet.view.RedirectView: name 'redirect:employeeHome.html?empId=92178039'; URL [employeeHome.html?empId=92178039]] in DispatcherServlet with name 'springProj'
            [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG servlet.DispatcherServlet: Successfully completed request

Its interesting because, its clear that a transaction is started when the SqlSession is retrieved and then finally its committed, even though no commit was issued from the application.

Comment

Please use [ code][/code ] tags when posting stacktraces, that leaves them more readable!

Not sure why the mybatis integration stuff (which isn't written by spring btw!) wants to have a transaction and manage it by itself. As you can see from the logging it isn't spring that is starting a transaction now but the MyBatis integration stuff is managing the transaction now. (What is it what you are using I see both ibatis and mybatis stuff passing in your logging?!).

Comment

My apologies for not enabling the code tags
                Am using mybatis-spring-1.1.0-bundle.

For the non-tx managed code, I see that the tx. is managed by SpringManagedTransaction which is class on mybatis-spring-1.1.0.jar but its managed by the Mybatis team.

For further clarity down the road :
                for a Spring managed tx:
                Code:
                [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Transaction synchronization committing SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@2423ad]
                [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Initiating transaction commit
                [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Committing JDBC transaction on Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver]
                [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Transaction synchronization closing SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@2423ad]
                [07/05/12 04:38:43:043 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager: Releasing JDBC Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver] after transaction
                for a non-spring managed tx:
                Code:
                [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG transaction.SpringManagedTransaction: Committing JDBC Connection [jdbc:oracle:thin:@*.*, Oracle JDBC driver]
                [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG spring.SqlSessionUtils: Closing non transactional SqlSession [org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSessi on@eced18]
                [07/05/12 04:33:34:034 SGT] DEBUG datasource.DataSourceUtils: Returning JDBC Connection to DataSource

Code:
                /**
                 * {@code SpringManagedTransaction} handles the lifecycle of a JDBC connection.
                 * It retrieves a connection from Spring's transaction manager and returns it back to it
                 * when it is no longer needed.
                 * <p>
                 * If Spring's transaction handling is active it will no-op all commit/rollback/close calls
                 * assuming that the Spring transaction manager will do the job.
                 * <p>
                 * If it is not it will behave like {@code JdbcTransaction}.
                public class SpringManagedTransaction implements Transaction {

/**
                   * {@inheritDoc}
                   */
                  public void commit() throws SQLException {
                    if (this.connection != null && !this.isConnectionTransactional && !this.autoCommit) {
                      if (this.logger.isDebugEnabled()) {
                        this.logger.debug("Committing JDBC Connection [" + this.connection + "]");
                      }
                      this.connection.commit();
                    }
                  }

Comment

MyBatis stores the SqlSession as a synchronization in SpringTxManager but does not commit/rollback the JDBC connection. That is done by DataSourceTransaction manager.

I would try this with JDBCTemplate to discard a MyBatis integration issue. But I suspect that readOnly=true does nothing,

Comment

Working...
                  X