Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Transaction must be running with JdbcMutableAclSe Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Transaction must be running with JdbcMutableAclSe

(My apology for lifting some of this from

I'm adding ACLs to an existing spring hibernate project and I am getting a:

Code:
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Transaction must be running
    exception in the following method:

Code:
    	@Override
    	@Transactional(readOnly=false)
    	public void createOrUpdateUser(User user)
    	{
    		if (user.getId() == null) {
    			entityDao.create(user);

ObjectIdentity oid = new ObjectIdentityImpl(User.class, user.getId());
    			MutableAcl acl = aclService.createAcl(oid);			
    			acl.insertAce(0, BasePermission.DELETE, new GrantedAuthoritySid("ROLE_ROOT"), true);
    			aclService.updateAcl(acl);

} else {
    			entityDao.update(user);
    		}
    	}
    The exception is being thrown by the JdbcMutableAclService. You can see the assert line below:

Code:
      protected Long createOrRetrieveSidPrimaryKey(Sid sid, boolean allowCreate) {
            Assert.notNull(sid, "Sid required");

String sidName = null;
            boolean sidIsPrincipal = true;

if (sid instanceof PrincipalSid) {
                sidName = ((PrincipalSid) sid).getPrincipal();
            } else if (sid instanceof GrantedAuthoritySid) {
                sidName = ((GrantedAuthoritySid) sid).getGrantedAuthority();
                sidIsPrincipal = false;
            } else {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException("Unsupported implementation of Sid");
            }

List<Long> sidIds = jdbcTemplate.queryForList(selectSidPrimaryKey,
                    new Object[] {Boolean.valueOf(sidIsPrincipal), sidName},  Long.class);

if (!sidIds.isEmpty()) {
                return sidIds.get(0);
            }

if (allowCreate) {
                jdbcTemplate.update(insertSid, new Object[] {Boolean.valueOf(sidIsPrincipal), sidName});
                Assert.isTrue(TransactionSynchronizationManager.isSynchronizationActive(), "Transaction must be running");
                return new Long(jdbcTemplate.queryForLong(sidIdentityQuery));
            }

return null;
        }
    Why am I being told there's no Transaction running when the method is annotated with @Transactional? All the hibernate transactions work normally it's just when I try to add ACLs that I get this error.

I have

Code:
    <tx:annotation-driven />
    and

Code:
       <bean
          id="transactionManager"
          class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager"
       >
          <property
             name="sessionFactory"
             ref="sessionFactory" />
       </bean>
    in my spring application context, but I wonder if I also need to define an
    Code:
    org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager
    too? That would necessitate two difference methods with two difference @Transactional lines that reference the two difference managers. Reading the hibernate manager seems to suggest that it should be usable in this situation (for direct JDBC stuff). How do I get it to work though?

Hello

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Transaction must be running
    Is that all error stack trace?, post all, other inner details would be more useful that the first shown in the error stack trace

Comment

Hi,

I've got the same exception with the same configuration and I would now how you resolved it ?
      Did you used a JtaTransactionManager ?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by theleek View Post
        Hi,

I've got the same exception with the same configuration and I would now how you resolved it ?
        Did you used a JtaTransactionManager ?

Thx
        The error you mentioned only happens when the sid is not present in the acl_sid table and is inserted by Spring ACL automatically. Try adding the rows manually and then rerun the code. This worked for me.

Refer http://forum.springsource.org/showth...ust-be-running

Comment

As an FYI, I find this error to be very misleading: "Transaction must be running".

But, the following did lead me in the right direction:

The error you mentioned only happens when the sid is not present in the acl_sid table and is inserted by Spring ACL automatically. Try adding the rows manually and then rerun the code. This worked for me.
          I had canned rows already in my database for ACL_SID, ACL_CLASS, etc. but I was using the number 1 to represent TRUE instead of 'true'. The AclSecurityUtil I have based on an example out on link was creating new rows for each user that I had already in ACL_SID. Each new row was identical to its existing counterpart except for the "PRINCIPAL" column which had 'true' instead of '1'. Also, I noticed ACL_OBJECT_IDENTITY.ENTRIES_INHERITING should use 'true' instead of '1'.

Hope this helps someone!

Comment

Working...
          X