Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdbctemplate parameters date column and wildcard

Hello there,

i've searched but found no thread, so hoping for some pointers about something that has been biting me.

I have a db table with a datetime column. I want to find rows that matches a given date, i.e. ignores the time part of the column ('2011-05-05 12:34:44', only match the date part).

I usually do "SELECT from x where date like '2011-05-05%', since i havent found any better way.

But with jdbctemplate i simply can't get it to work!

my code is something like
    Code:
    String sql = "select from x where date like ? ... "
    Date myDate = ...
    Object args = new Object[]{myDate}
    jdbcTemplate.query(sql, args, callback);
    (above is ofc. mockup code, hope you get the picture.

I've tried with various versions of the above, setting '?' rather than ?, using arg-types with both date, string etc.

Can't get anything to work, if anybody knows how to precisely use the %-wildcard, i'd be happy as a camper.

Cheers

if you want a query with low performance use a like... It isn't very performant to first convert a data to a string and then do a like (that is more or less how a database handles it). With a lot of records this becomes a very slow query.

Use a query which select the records where the date is between 0:00:00 and 23:59:59

Code:
    select * from x where date >= ? and date <= ?
    You might also want to take a look at a to_date function (although using a function in a query with a lot of data might also be not good idea).

Comment

Thanks for your time!

Well yeah, that's what i'm doing now, i.e. sending in start- and enddates. I was more asking because i havent been able to figure out how to use wildcards with jdbc-templates at all...

The date()-function (im using mysql) is hard for me to use since i'm using HSQLDB for my integration tests and date() doesn't exist there, failing my tests.

Comment

Now you lost me, you post a query with like (which has nothing to do with selecting a data between) and now you wonder about wildcards... Maybe ask the correct question next time.

Simply put in a ? and pass in the arguments. You only need to make sure you pass in the correct types. A like with a date isn't going to work, ou first need a string (but as I stated you shouldn't be doing that!). Also a like '?%' the ? isn't a wildcard because it is between '' and it is followed by %...

Comment

Working...
        X