Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use PostgreSQL with spring?

If so do you have any SERIAL columns? I am unable to get the generated keys returned to me.

To the best of my knowledge, PostgreSQL doesn't support this. I'm pretty sure it didn't in v. 7, and I'm not aware that's changed in 8.

From the manual:
    The data types serial and bigserial are not true types, but merely a notational convenience for setting up unique identifier columns (similar to the AUTO_INCREMENT property supported by some other databases). In the current implementation, specifying

CREATE TABLE tablename (
    colname SERIAL
    );

is equivalent to specifying:

CREATE SEQUENCE tablename_colname_seq;
    CREATE TABLE tablename (
    colname integer DEFAULT nextval('tablename_colname_seq') NOT NULL
    );

Thus, we have created an integer column and arranged for its default values to be assigned from a sequence generator.
    If you need to know the value for a row you insert, I beleive the recommended method is to select nextval('sequenceName') and then use that value for your insert into the field.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by bobmanc
      If so do you have any SERIAL columns? I am unable to get the generated keys returned to me.
      PostgreSQL doesn't support SERIAL columns. This is considered as a very bad thing. PostgreSQL has support for sequnces which offers a lot more flexibility. Just ask if you have further questions...

Comment

The PostgreSQL database suports the SERIAL type, but as far as I know the JDBC driver does not support returning the autogenerated keys (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by croco
          The PostgreSQL database suports the SERIAL type, but as far as I know the JDBC driver does not support returning the autogenerated keys (yet).
          No, there's no serial datatype. PostgreSQL has a serial keyword that - if it is used as a type - automatically creates a sequence and sets a nextval() function call for this column.

Example:

Code:
          CREATE TABLE foo(id serial);
          is the same as:

Code:
          CREATE SEQUENCE foo_id;
          CREATE TABLE foo(id integer not null default nextval('foo_id_seq'::regclass));

The only difference is, that in the firstcase a drop table cascades and also deletes the sequence - this isn't the case if the sequence is created manually.

So, there is a serial. But this serial is just used for creating sequences in a convenient way. What the initial author was asking for (if I understood him correctly) is "auto increment" - and that isn't supported by PostgreSQL.

Best
          Oliver

Comment

Working...
          X