Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
SimpleJdbcInsert.executeAndReturnKey() SQLException under Websphere and SQLServer Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimpleJdbcInsert.executeAndReturnKey() SQLException under Websphere and SQLServer

Any help with the following problem would be greatly appreciated...We are using Spring 2.5.6 with Websphere 6.1 and MS SqlServer 2005. We have the following DAO code:
    Code:
    public void init() {			
    		insert = new SimpleJdbcInsert(getDataSource())
    				.withTableName(TABLENAME)
    				.usingGeneratedKeyColumns(ID);
    	}

public long insert(...) {
    		Number generatedKey = insert.executeAndReturnKey(
    				new BeanPropertySqlParameterSource(myobj));
    		return generatedKey.longValue();
    	}
    This works fine when executed within a junit. But when insert() executes in websphere, we get the following exception:

PreparedStatementCallback; uncategorized SQLException for SQL []; SQL state [HY000]; error code [0]; [IBM][SQLServer JDBC Driver]Unsupported method: Connection.prepareStatement; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: [IBM][SQLServer JDBC Driver]Unsupported method: Connection.prepareStatement
    SOM
    org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException : PreparedStatementCallback; uncategorized SQLException for SQL []; SQL state [HY000]; error code [0]; [IBM][SQLServer JDBC Driver]Unsupported method: Connection.prepareStatement; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: [IBM][SQLServer JDBC Driver]Unsupported method: Connection.prepareStatement
    at org.springframework.jdbc.support.AbstractFallbackS QLExceptionTranslator.translate(AbstractFallbackSQ LExceptionTranslator.java:83)
    at org.springframework.jdbc.support.AbstractFallbackS QLExceptionTranslator.translate(AbstractFallbackSQ LExceptionTranslator.java:80)
    at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.execute (JdbcTemplate.java:607)
    at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.update( JdbcTemplate.java:824)
    at org.springframework.jdbc.core.simple.AbstractJdbcI nsert.executeInsertAndReturnKeyHolderInternal(Abst ractJdbcInsert.java:421)
    at org.springframework.jdbc.core.simple.AbstractJdbcI nsert.executeInsertAndReturnKeyInternal(AbstractJd bcInsert.java:402)
    at org.springframework.jdbc.core.simple.AbstractJdbcI nsert.doExecuteAndReturnKey(AbstractJdbcInsert.jav a:369)
    at org.springframework.jdbc.core.simple.SimpleJdbcIns ert.executeAndReturnKey(SimpleJdbcInsert.java:110)

Looks like your driver doesn't support Connection.prepareStatement.

Have you tried using the Microsoft SQL Server drivers instead of the IBM ones?

Comment

The same insert works fine with NamedParameterJdbcTemplate.update() with a keyholder

... but I don't want to have to supply the sql for the insert - I want SimpleJdbcTemplate to do that for me. Here's the code that does work:

Code:
       SqlParameterSource namedParameters = new BeanPropertySqlParameterSource(
      				myObj);
      KeyHolder keyHolder = createKeyHolder();
      getSimpleJdbcTemplate().getNamedParameterJdbcOperations().update(
      				mySql, namedParameters, keyHolder);
      return keyHolder.getKey().longValue();

Comment

I'm not suggesting you change the SQL, just try using the Microsoft drivers.

Comment

Thanks for your help. With the MS drivers, it works fine. IBM's driver works fine for this (from NamedParameterJdbcTemplate):
          ps = con.prepareStatement(this.actualSql, PreparedStatement.RETURN_GENERATED_KEYS);

.. but it fails when AbstractJdbcInsert, the superclass for SimpleJdbcInsert, invokes this:
          ps = con.prepareStatement(getInsertString(), getGeneratedKeyNames());

Comment

I'm glad it works with the MS drivers.

I'd recommend using them all the time when connecting to SQL Server as they always seem to work the best.

Comment

Working...
            X