Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hivemind?

Hi all.
    I've been reading some stuff about Hivemind and seems to provide the same inside-the-box services (IOC, Transaction Demarcation, etc). What is the main difference between both frameworks? I feel like i should choose Spring rather than Hivemind but i need solid proofs about it.

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply.

afaik, they are not really in the same target area. I thought Hivemind could even use Spring.

This post discusses it, but it may be rather old now:
    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/m...msg_id=6527121

Comment

I read the link you posted and it seems to be a bit out of date. I've been reading the first pages of hivemind's reference manual and there seems to be no difference with spring refering to IOC and some interceptors (transaction, logging, security).
      Can you tell me a real difference between both Spring and Hivemind that would make me say: "yes, i prefer Spring rather than Hivemind"??

Thanks in advance

Comment

Did you see this: http://jakarta.apache.org/hivemind/h...upFactory.html

I just went over and re-read some of their stuff. Yup, sounds like a direct competitor in terms of IoC; btw, Hivemind is mentioned in Rod's book. Of course, Spring seems to have the momentum in terms of being a more full feature app framework. For example, I did not see DAO, JMX and all that at the HiveMind site or even Pico's.

Not an easy decision. But, feature set is only one criteria. Like MVC frameworks, they pretty much have the same feature set, but drastically different approaches and quality.

Then again, you can use Keel and manage the frameworks with a framework! :twisted:

Comment

Can you tell me a real difference between both Spring and Hivemind that would make me say: "yes, i prefer Spring rather than Hivemind"??
          The scope of Spring is much more than simply an IoC container. Spring is a complete application framework, with support for a consistent DAO abstraction across JDBC, Hibernate, JDO, iBATIS etc. While HiveMind probably aims at comparable scope, it's way behind in that area.

Spring's IoC is very capable, allowing use of Setter/Constructor injection (which I believe HiveMind also fully supports) but also construction of objects via factory methods (static or on managed instances), and population of lists, maps and arrays, arbitrarily nested. HiveMind has a different approach to configuration management, inspired by Eclipse. Only in the IoC area does HiveMind directly compete. Using HiveMind IoC with Spring services (tx mgt, DAO etc) might make sense if you prefer HiveMind's take on IoC. But if you tried to replace Spring with HiveMind in a whole application, you would end up writing a lot of bespoke code to do all the plumbing that Sprirng takes care of.

For example, Spring provides a highly sophisticated declarative and programmatic transaction management capability, which works in a range of environments. I believe that this is unique.

Spring's AOP functionality is significantly more sophisticated and open, with a true pointcut concept and implementation of the AOP Alliance interfaces, also supported by DynAOP, JAC and hopefully some other frameworks soon. Spring AOP aspects can be written as implementations of plain Java interfaces, without the need for working at a low, proprietary level. Acegi Security from Spring uses this to provide a sophisticated out-of-the-box security solution for Spring applications.

Spring integrates with many third party products, such as Quartz, WebWork, Struts etc.

Finally, Spring has a far larger user community.

Rgds
          Rod

Comment

More info

ndijkstra, in conjunction with the 1.0 release of HiveMind there's a thread going on over at theserverside, http://www.theserverside.com/news/th...hread_id=28937. Within Both Howard Lewis Ship (HiveMind's principle author) and Juergen have some excellent (and lengthy) comments on differences in design and scope.

Comment

Thanks a lot futang and Rod!!

Comment

Working...
              X