X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Code Once at Application Context Load

I looking for a way to execute some code when the application context has been loaded and when it is shutdown. I only need to do this once for the root application context (not any of the other application contexts like spring-mvc, struts, etc...).

I looked into using the ContextStartedEvent but it flat out doesn't work. It never fires...period. It is either really poorly named or there is some bug there. Next I looked into the ContextRefreshedEvent but that fires for each of the other contexts as well, and I can only execute my code once at startup.

The only other method I have found is to use a ServletContextListener but I rather not bind my code to being web app specific and I really want to keep my code attached to Spring, rather than attached to the web.xml file. It would also be much more difficult to unit test a ServletContextListener than a class injected via Spring.

Does anyone know how to execute code at application context load only once? Thanks in advance for your help.

ContextStartedEvent gets fired when the ApplicationContext is manually started. So unless you are explicitly starting your context, this event will not fire.

All ApplicationContexts that I have used always end up calling refresh() inside their constructor. So in my case, I can use ContextRefreshedEvent successfully. Furthermore, I can check is the refresh event I received is from the root context or not by calling getApplicationContext().getParent(). Null means the event was from the root context.

Using the ContextClosedEvent is similar.

Comment

Working...
    X