X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prog. rollback of decl. transaction without interceptor - pb

I’m having problems triggering transaction rollback programmatically within a declaratively managed transaction.

Some methods on our business interface have a 'preview' boolean parameter. If the argument is true, the method should complete successfully (generating a summary of what was done), but no changes should be made to the database - i.e. we want rollback without having to throw an exception.

I have tried two techniques, one writing an interceptor implementing MethodBeforeAdvice, passed to TransactionProxyFactoryBean with its preInterceptors property. The interceptor checks whether the last method parameter is a boolean of value true, if so it obtains the TransactionStatus from the transactionManager (passed to the interceptor as a property), and calls setRollbackOnly():

Code:
    if (transactionManager == null)
    {
        throw new IllegalStateException("transactionManager property not set -check application context is correctly configured.");
    }

TransactionStatus status = transactionManager.getTransaction(null);                                    
    status.setRollbackOnly();
    This works correctly, however only a few methods have the preview parameter and I would rather not bother with an interceptor at all and just call setRollbackOnly() from the business logic itself if preview is set to true, once again passing the transactionManager as a property to my implementation class.

For some reason the later approach doesn’t work.

The transaction is not rolling back even though I am executing exactly the same setRollbackOnly() code within the business logic that I am in the interceptor.

My application context is as follows:

Code:
    <bean id="hibernateSessionFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean">
        <property name="mappingResources">
            <list><value>location.hbm.xml</value></list>
        </property>

<property name="hibernateProperties">
            <props>
                <prop key="hibernate.dialect">
                    org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect
                </prop>
                <prop key="hibernate.show_sql">false</prop>
            </props>
        </property>

<property name="dataSource">
            <ref bean="dataSource"/>
        </property>			
    </bean>

<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager">
        <property name="sessionFactory">
            <ref bean="hibernateSessionFactory"/>
        </property>
    </bean>	

<bean id="locationManagerPreviewInterceptor" class="com.abc.location.domain.LocationManagerPreviewInterceptor">
        <property name="transactionManager">
            <ref bean="transactionManager"/>
        </property>
    </bean>

<bean id="locationManagerDao" class="com.abc.location.dao.LocationManagerDao">
        <property name="sessionFactory">
            <ref bean="hibernateSessionFactory"/>
        </property>
    </bean>

<bean id="locationManager" class="org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionProxyFactoryBean">
        </property>
        <!-- With the following pre-interceptor, the transaction is correctly rolled back. If I comment out this property, and have the application code call setRollbackOnly&#40;&#41; on TransactionStatus itself, the transaction doesn't roll back -->	
        <property name="preInterceptors">
            <list>
                <ref bean="locationManagerPreviewInterceptor"/>
            </list>
        </property>    
        <property name="target">
            <ref bean="locationManagerImpl"/>
        </property>
        <property name="transactionAttributes">
            <props>
                <prop key="*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,-Throwable</prop>
            </props>
        </property>
    </bean>

<bean id="locationManagerImpl" class="com.abc.location.domain.LocationManagerImpl">
        <property name="locationManagerDao">
            <ref bean="locationManagerDao"/>
        </property>
        <!-- Give the business interface implementation a reference to the transaction manager so it can rollback the transaction programmatically. -->
        </property>		
    </bean>
    What am I doing wrong here? I'm passing the same reference to the transactionManager singleton to both my interceptor and business logic class. I get the same behaviour in my standalone functional tests outside of a container and deployed under JBoss 4.0.1. I'm using Spring 1.2.4.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can use the static TransactionAspectSupport.currentTransactionStatus( ) method to obtain the correct TransactionStatus for flagging the transaction for rollback.

Hope that helps,
    Andreas

Comment

Fixed. Thanks Andreas.

Thanks Andreas. That's working fine now, and simpler than passing transactionManager as a property.

Comment

Working...
      X