Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ensuring a system property is set

Hi

I have a bunch of system properties that i need to be set before I can do any JSSE stuff. I wont rely on these being set with -D options on the command line (though they may be), so my bean - in this case a connection factory - which depends on these properties has a dependency like

Code:
      <bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
        <property name="location" value="classpath&#58;jsse.properties"/>
        <property name="ignoreResourceNotFound" value="true"/>
      </bean>

<bean id="connectionFactory" class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean" depends-on="keyStoreProperty,keyStoreTypeProperty,keyStorePasswordProperty,trustStoreProperty,trustStoreTypeProperty,trustStorePasswordProperty">
    and then my definition of one of these properties is

Code:
      <bean id="setSystemProperty" abstract="true" class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.MethodInvokingFactoryBean">
        <property name="targetClass" value="java.lang.System"/>
        <property name="targetMethod" value="setProperty"/>
      </bean>

<bean id="keyStoreProperty" parent="setSystemProperty">
        <property name="arguments">
          <list>
            <value>javax.net.ssl.keyStore</value>
            <value>$&#123;javax.net.ssl.keyStore&#125;</value>
          </list>
        </property>
      </bean>
    This works OK, because a user could invoke Java with a -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=whatever.jks option or put javax.net.ssl.keyStore=whatever.jks in jsse.properties (and they'd not be able to override it at the command line, which is potentially useful).

This is all a bit long-winded - can anyone think of a more consice way to do it?

Actually, my main gripe with this is that there may be times when JSSE properties may not be set (when they're not relevant).

Is there a way to avoid the PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer complaining when the JSSE properties are not set, when I'm trying to use the same set of config for non-JSSE communictions?

I can get around this by setting

Code:
    javax.net.ssl.keyStore=
    javax.net.ssl.keyStoreType=
    in my jsse.properties, but I'd like it to cope if there is just no jsse.properties supplied at all.

Comment

I can think of two ways, both having to do with overriding some method from PropertiesLoaderSupport - PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer's grandparent class.

You can subclass PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer and override loadProperties with some logic that ignore FileNotFoundException.

You can also subclass the same class, but override setLocation and/or setLocations to preemptively check all the locations and filter out the ones that don't exist.

Comment

Working...
      X