Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Spring Framework support runtime component updates?

At my company we have to make a decision for a framework for a standalone Java server during the next days.
    We seem to have two options:
    1. Spring Framework:
    - This would save us a lot of time for DB access development and transactions, etc.
    on the server side.
    2. Eclipse Rich Client Project:
    - This would give us support for software updates during the runtime of the server.
    This possibility is absolutely necessary for the server that has to run 24 hours a day
    and 365 days a year.
    We need this for the clients too (only at start up but it has to be completely transparent
    too).
    - Eclipse RCP could help much on the client side too.

So I would like to use Spring Framework at the server side but it seems to be missing the crucial update during runtime.
    So please help me.

What do you want to update? A single component? A complete application? Settings within a component?

Comment

I would like to be able to update a single (or multiple) component(s) and/or its configuration and (as worst case) the whole application.
      Updating everything should be very rare because that will slow down the performance for the users so normally I will only update components.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole
        I would like to be able to update a single (or multiple) component(s) and/or its configuration and (as worst case) the whole application.
        You could use JMX to update the internal status of a component, but as far as I know it is not possible to update a fraction of the Spring configuration (it would be quite complex I think because how are you going to deal with the newly created maybe duplicate objects?)

In one of the next version it is going to be possible that the internal state of the objects can be flushed to the application context, but I`m not sure about it

Comment

Working...
        X