Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does declarative custom editor setup work

Hello,

I'm trying to register a custom editor in a declarative way.

Code:
        <bean id="customEditorConfigurer" class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.CustomEditorConfigurer">
            <property name="customEditors">
                <map>
                    <entry key="mypackage.myType">
                        <bean class="mypacke.myEditor"/>
                    </entry>
                </map>
            </property>
        </bean>
    The Editor is initialized but isn't used for wrapping my type. If i register the same editor in the initBinder() method of my controller, everything works fine.

What's my mistake?

Best,
    Oliver

I guess you are using a BeanFactory subtype. Try using an ApplicationContext subtype instead (e.g. ClassPathXmlApplicationContext).

Only ApplicationContexts do automatic registering of property editors. For plain BeanFactories you have to trigger registration explicitly.

Regards,
    Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Senft
      I guess you are using a BeanFactory subtype. Try using an ApplicationContext subtype instead (e.g. ClassPathXmlApplicationContext).

Only ApplicationContexts do automatic registering of property editors. For plain BeanFactories you have to trigger registration explicitly.
      Uhmm. I don't understand. :oops:

I put that bean definition in applicationContext.xml and I did a log.debug() in my Editor's constructor - that debug line is printed when spring boots up.

Comment

Originally posted by ojs
        I put that bean definition in applicationContext.xml and I did a log.debug() in my Editor's constructor - that debug line is printed when spring boots up.
        The creation of your editor does not seem to be the problem. However it still needs to be registered in order to being invoked properly.

Maybe you can just post the code that loads in your applicationContext.xml.

Regards,
        Andreas

Comment

Maybe you can just post the code that loads in your applicationContext.xml.
          I already pasted the code (see above). Thats all. I already had the feeling that this isn't enough, but I don't know what I need more.

Comment

That was not what I meant. I wanted to see the code where you *instantiate* your BeanFactory/ApplicationContext. That's where you specify that applicationContext.xml is to be processed.

Something like this:
            Code:
            ApplicationContext ctx = new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext&#40;"applicationContext.xml"&#41;;

ctx.getBean&#40;...&#41;;
            Regards,
            Andreas

Comment

That was not what I meant. I wanted to see the code where you *instantiate* your BeanFactory/ApplicationContext.
              Ahh. I see. Well, it's a web application, so my web.xml looks like this:

Code:
                  <context-param>
                      <param-name>contextConfigLocation</param-name>
                      <param-value>
                          /WEB-INF/conf/global-service.xml
                      </param-value>
                  </context-param>

<!-- ... -->

<listener>
                      <listener-class>
                          org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
                      </listener-class>
                  </listener>

<!-- ... -->

<servlet>
                      <servlet-name>myapp</servlet-name>
                      <servlet-class>
                          org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet
                      </servlet-class>
                      <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
                  </servlet>

Oliver

Comment

Ok. So it is an ApplicationContext and should normally work as you have configured it.

Then I think it's about registration. For which type do you register the editor? You have to register it for the type of the property, not for the type of the class containing it. Maybe that is the problem.

Regards,
                Andreas

Comment

Then I think it's about registration. For which type do you register the editor? You have to register it for the type of the property, not for the type of the class containing it. Maybe that is the problem.
                  I register the editor for the type, not for the class containting that type. That cannot be the problem.

Oliver

Comment

I fear, I'm running out of ideas

One last thing I recall is, that a recent Spring version (1.2.2) had some issues with BeanPostProcessors. I haven't been following this issue very closely, but think it should be fixed in 1.2.3. It was about beans not being eligible for post processors. If that would be the case here, you could probably find clues in the logfile (debug level).
                    Maybe an upgrade does help.

Regards,
                    Andreas

Comment

One last thing I recall is, that a recent Spring version (1.2.2) had some issues with BeanPostProcessors. I haven't been following this issue very closely, but think it should be fixed in 1.2.3. It was about beans not being eligible for post processors. If that would be the case here, you could probably find clues in the logfile (debug level).
                      Maybe an upgrade does help.
                      I already tried my luck and updated to 1.2.3 already. No luck. I posted a jira issue: http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...rowse/SPR-1210

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                      X