Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• package org.springframework.context does not exist

Hi,
    My web application works great without any errors. However, when i am trying to do same stuff using standalone application, i am getting hit with strange errors.

Code file:
    import org.springframework.context.ApplicationContext;
    import org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlAp plicationContext;

public class pure
    {
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    ApplicationContext context = new
    ClassPathXmlApplicationContext("*.xml");

}
    }

All my xml files are stored in the same directory as the above java file.
    My CLASSPATH points to all relevant spring jar files and java 1.6.X jdk jars

Trial 1: When i try to compile the java program, i get error
    package org.springframework.context does not exist and similar errors on other packages and symbol not found errors etc

Trial 2: I manually copied all jars to the same directory location where my java programme resides. I still get the same error

Trial 3: But the errors seem to go away one by one when i incrementally start un jarring each of the spring jar files and all other dependent jar files.
    jar -xvf spring-beans-2.5.5.jar
    jar -xvf commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
    etc

Note:One thing i noticed was the Manifest files donot have Main-Class attribute in all the jar files. So i am also not able to run the following command
    Java -jar spring-beans-2.5.5.jar

How can i overcome these errors?
    I don't want to copy all the jars locally to my programme and i certainly don't want to un jar the dependent jar files.
    Whats my solution. I am new to Spring and also to Java.
    Thanks
    Sri

Code:
    ClassPathXmlApplicationContext("*.xml");
    First time that I see the bold part in such way

1) use code tags
    2) how are you trying to compile? with only javac command?, it seems yes,

be sure to include all the long jars need it in your classpath for the javac
    command

I suggest strongly work with ant

3) the package is located in spring.jar if you work with 2.5.x series

Comment

Dr pompeii,
      Thanks for suggesting me to use code tags. I will use it from here on.
      I am using maven for my web app builds. For my standalone app, since there is only one java file and remaining all are pre-built libraries, i wanted to give it a quick try with javac. Yes, i am using javac to compile my sources.

I have followed your suggestion to include full path to Spring jars and it seems that this has worked before i got hit by another ClassNotFound exception. I have many jar files and i can't include a full path to all these jars in CLASSPATH env variable.

Here are my questions
      a) Why can't i include a path to directory that includes all jar files in my CLASSPATH env? Why does it work, only when i give full path to each jar?
      b) I really cannot think of adding full paths to each and every jar my standalone app needs. IS there any better approach?

Thanks
      Sri

Comment

Hello Sri

a) Why can't i include a path to directory that includes all jar files in my CLASSPATH env? Why does it work, only when i give full path to each jar?
        Jdk 6 has a special option to handle this, but I used to work with ant

I really cannot think of adding full paths to each and every jar my standalone app needs. IS there any better approach?
        Yes, ant

But since you are working with maven you shouldn't had problems

This is a problem not related with Spring itself, I suggest learn and work with ant

Comment

Working...
        X