X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving specific configured object instances generically

I want to be able to retrieve transport-specific instances of connection objects to different business servers (call them A, B, ...). Call the transports (such as CORBA) X, Y, ... .

There will be a bean declaration for each business server connection, for each transport type. I thus have bean declarations as follows:
    Code:
    <bean id="XTransportForA" class="XTransport">
    		<properties specific to transport X for business server A connection that are set on XTransport...>
    	</bean>

<bean id="XTransportForB" class="XTransport">
    		<properties specific to transport X for business server B connection that are set on XTransport...>
    	</bean>

<bean id="YTransportForA" class="YTransport">
    		<properties specific to transport Y for business server A connection that are set on YTransport...>
    	</bean>

<bean id="YTransportForB" class="YTransport">
    		<properties specific to transport Y for business server B connection that are set on YTransport...>
    	</bean>

etc.
    Is it possible, for example, to call a generic bean that is transport-independent such as
    Code:
    <bean id="TransportForA" class="Transport"/>
    (where XTransport and YTransport extend Transport) and be returned the transport-specific bean XTransportForA if X was the specified transport (from a properties file)? i.e. can Spring return beans conditionally? Or do I need to write a special factory class?

So in essence: you want to have a bean that is created in the appcontext, based on some input argument?

Object bean = appContext.getBean("transport","X");

Comment

Sort of...

Ideally I'd like to pass the business server type in getBean(), but I want Spring to choose the correct bean instance based on this AND a setting for the transport, which Spring reads from a properties file (I want the transport type to be transparent to the code getting the bean). Is this possible?

Comment

One way I can think of is:
        0. Declare all the transports as you have already done in the OP.
        1. Write a BeanFactoryPostProcessor that reads the transport type from a properties file, and registers some transport-type-agnostic aliases for the transports. E.g., if the transport type, "X" or "Y", is read into variable transportType, you'd do:
        Code:
        factory.registerAlias&#40; transportType + "TransportForA", "transportForA"&#41;;
        factory.registerAlias&#40; transportType + "TransportForB", "transportForB"&#41;;
        2. Now the code getting the bean can do:
        Code:
        appContext.getBean&#40;"transportFor" + businessType&#41;;
        Oh well, maybe I have just made it overly complicated...

Comment

Interesting

Interesting suggestion, would probably work, but would be a bit inelegant, when I think Spring should probably have some mechanism to do this properly. I also find it frustrating not being able to pass parameters when getting beans. Because I can't, I have to use a manual factory... correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Why can't you just have a bean which takes a map of names:transportBeans?

Code:
              <bean id="transportRegistry" class="TransportRegistry">
                <constructor-arg index="0">
                  <map>
                    <entry key="x"><ref bean="transportX"/></entry>
                    <entry key="y"><ref bean="transportY"/></entry>
                  </map>
                </constructor-arg>
              </bean>
            You transportRegistry would then have a "getTransport(final String key)" and return the corresponding transport?

Have I missed something?

Comment

Check out this thread: http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=12180

It discusses the getBean with runtime arguments, which may be of relevance.
              Last edited by robyn; May 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Interesting

yatesco, thanks, I am actually using a PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer with BeanReferenceFactoryBean to retrieve the name of the transport, without a post-processor:

Code:
                <bean id="busserver1CorbaTransport" class="CorbaTransport">
                		<property name="orbFactory"><ref local="orbFactory" /></property>
                		<property name="corba_locator_ior" value="$&#123;corba_locator_ior&#125;" />
                		<property name="corba_service_name" value="$&#123;corba_service_name&#125;" />
                	</bean>

<bean id="busserver1Transport" class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.BeanReferenceFactoryBean">
                		<property name="targetBeanName" value="busserver1$&#123;transport.type&#125;Transport"/>
                	</bean>
                I then simply get the bean "busserver1Transport", which will resolve to "busserver1CorbaTransport" if transport.type = Corba ;-)

jbetancourt, thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Looks promising.

Comment

Having separate context xml files for different transports (defining public beans under the same name) and then loading only the appropriate one at the startup sounds like a viable solution to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X