X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• final properties in abstract bean definition

I'm looking for a way to ensure that children of an abstract bean do not override certain properties. To give a slightly-contrived but easy-to-understand example: assume I have a set of beans representing different kinds of lifeforms, all represented as instances of the Java class Lifeform. Lifeforms have a "kingdom" property representing their biological kingdom. There is an abstract bean with id="Animal" that sets kingdom=Animalia. I want to ensure that any bean with parent="Animal" does not override (accidentally or intentionally) this property, so that all animals have the correct kingdom.

One way I have found to do this is to create a Java class Animal whose constructor calls super.setKingdom("Animalia"), and overrides setKingdom to throw an exception. However I would prefer to not have "Animalia" hard-coded in the implementation, but set within the spring config instead.

How would you accomplish this? Thanks for your help.

Spring supposes that child bean can override every parent bean property, so, there is no out-of-the-box solution.

Another point is that such a check doesn't seem really necessary, i.e. if you maintain spring config it's up to you to not overwrite parent properties. Even if you accidentally overwrite a property you can fix that easily as you are a config maintainer.

If you still want to introduce that rule you can create custom BeanFactoryPostProcessor and implement that logic there.

Comment

Working...
    X