Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ApplicationContext instance per request

Hi all,

Are there any cons in creating a new ApplicaitonContext each time the application processes a request? The reason I want to do that is because the beans created (usually a service) contain state information that I want to keep (but not share across different requests due to threading issues) until the request is completed. I could make the bean a prototype but then I would have to managed the life cycle myself.

Thanks,

Vincent

This might get expensive. The ApplicationContext mechanism is not intended to be used like that (afaik). Therefore a significant performance degradation might be possible.

I would advise to store just your state in a ThreadLocal.

Regards,
    Andreas

Comment

Thx for the reply, I think that's a nice solution but I have a question regarding the lifecycle of using a ThreadLocal bean: who's is control it? and would calling appCtx.getBean() return me the shared ThreadLocal object? I guess what I was looking for is something similar to HttpSession but since my application is not a web application, I have to find something else to replace it.

Vincent

Comment

Maybe org.springframework.aop.target.ThreadLocalTargetSo urce might be useful for you. I think it provides the functionality you need.

Regards,
        Andreas

Comment

Working...
        X