• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring as a plugin framework

A plugin scenario is something like this:
    1. i have an application with a navigation bar
    2. i want to enable clients to add items to the navigation bar
    a. let them write some specification for the item (specify it as a menu item, display name, url etc.)
    b. package it
    c. "deploy" it (put it in some predefined directory)
    3. the navigation bar componet then does something like:
    Collection plugins = getPlugins(menuItemPluginId);
    // iterate over the plugins, creating a menu item for each

... basically, what Eclipse has.

How can I acheive this with Spring?
    - I don't want the client to modify my internal configuration files (e.g., the xxx-servlet.xml file)
    - deployment / undeployment should be on-line (not shutting down the application)

thanx,
    ittay

A lot of new features like context reloading (essential for plugins) are scheduled for 1.3 release which is not far in the future. Check out JIRA for more information.
    I think that is your starting point - probably there is already something on the CVS which you can use.

Comment

sorry, i couldn't find anything in jira, could you please point me to the relevant posts?

and also, if using springs terms, i'd expect a user to be able to write an xml file with *his* beans, but reference the *predefined* beans (written in some other xml, which is part of the application, and not customized). something like:
      <bean id="myMenu".../>

<bean ref="navigationBar"> <!-- already defined somewhere else (main configuration)-->
      <list add="true"> <!-- not to override other plugins -->
      <ref ref="myMenu"/>
      </list>
      </bean>

even nicer, with the example i have, i don't realy need a backing java bean. i can manage by:
      <bean id="myMenu" mock="true"> <!-- mock means just a set of properties -->
      <props>
      <prop key="display">New Item</prop>
      <prop key="url">http://myapp/path</prop>
      <props>
      </bean>

maybe allow a mixture- a backing bena, but some properties in the xml.

of course, i'm just writing from the top of my head, mabye current mechanisms in spring give the same end result.

thanx,
      ittay

Comment

Context reloading :http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj.../browse/SPR-94

Comment

Working...
        X