Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refering a file in placeholder

Hi all,

I'm bulding a web app packaged in an ear archive.
    This ear is targeted to be deployed on several platforms (jetty, tomcat, jonas & weblogic).

My web.xml refers to an applicationContext.xml file.
    In this file, I register a PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer bean.
    I want to put the property file (registered in the "locations" property of the bean above) outside the ear.
    ==> I will be able to customize my application depending on each platform settings (URLs of other servers, ....)

My problem is how to define in a generic way the location of my property file.
    I found a solution for Application servers based on tomcat (ex : tomcat, jonas)
    ==>
    Code:
     <bean class="org.springframework....PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
       <property name="locations">
         <value>file:${catalina.base}/conf/myappli/myAppli.properties</value>
       </property>
    It works well. But other application servers (like jetty and weblo), the system property ${catalina.base} is not defined.

One solution could be making conditional initialisation in spring beans ?
    For instance :
    Code:
    < < < if ${catalina.base} is defined  ==> use > > >  (Tomcat based servers)
         <value>file:${catalina.base}/conf/myappli/myAppli.properties</value>
       </property>
      </bean>
    < < < else if ${DOMAIN_HOME} is defined  ==> use > > > (WEBLOGIC)
         <value>file:${DOMAIN_HOME}/.../conf/myappli/myAppli.properties</value>
       </property>
      </bean>
    < < < end if > > >
    Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Guillaume Lundy

You can define the properties file as a classpath resource (use classpath: prefix) and then just make sure necessary file remains at the target server classpath.

Comment

I thought about this but I think putting config files in the classpath of a Application server is not a good practice.

With EARs, remaining Class path folders are lib.ext folders. IMO, lib.ext folders are not targeted to host config files

Guillaume

Comment

Why do you say that 'I think putting config files in the classpath of a Application server is not a good practice'? It's a normal practice, moreover, it allows you to use a very flexible mechanism of environment settings loading.

Comment

Refering to
          jonas.objectweb.org/JOnAS_4_7/doc/PG_J2eeApps.html,

Application servers classloaders hierarchies are complex and several levels are identified
          Example for jonas/tomcat but it is the same for JBOSS, Weblo, ...

- CATALINA_HOME ( = JONAS_ROOT) are classpaths reserved for the AS binaries
          (ex : JONAS_ROOT/lib/catalina/common/lib, CATALINA_HOME/common/lib )
          A good practice is to avoid putting application files here

- CATALINA_BASE (= JONAS_BASE) is reseved for one instance of the server. In this one, you deploy your apps in /apps, /webapps, ... and config in /conf.
          Sub folder of CATALINA_BASE added to the classpath are : CATALINA_HOME/server/lib and CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
          Their naming convention indicates that are targeted to host jar files instead of config files.
          Unfortunatly, CATALINA_BASE/conf is not part of the classpath when you exectue run JONAS, TOMCAT....

Guillaume LUNDY

Comment

I don't suggest to put the files to the one of ap-server specific directories. I suggest to put the files at the completely separated dedicated user-defined space and modify classpath of the AS JVM in order to include them.

Comment

Hi, I found the solution..... which s very simple.
              I looked at the jonas.sh script and I saw that the folder $JONAS_BASE/conf was sistematically added in the classpath.
              So I add my property file in this folder and define it in spring like this:
              <bean class="org.springframework....PropertyPlaceholderC onfigurer">
              <value>classpath:/myappli/myAppli.properties</value>
              </property>
              </bean>
              For other application servers, if a conf folder is not in the Classpath, I will add it by myself

Regards.

Comment

Working...
              X