Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMX and MX4j - Issues with Operation invokation

Hi

I am able to expose my MBeans from a Spring context. I am using Mx4j in Tomcat 4.1.3 and Mc4j as my JMX console.

My beans are listed fine in the console but any operations I fire through console do not make thier way to the actual implementation. The console does not throw up any exception. It just says there is no data to display.

When I put my application in debug mode my breakpoints are not hit confirming that method is not being invoked.

Does anyone have faced this before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Nilesh

What version of JDK and MX4j are you using? For debugging expose just a simple bean and enable logging inside Spring and Tomcat. This should provide some starting points.

Comment

Also what version of Spring JMX are you using - there were some problems in earlier versions.

Rob

Comment

To answer both the questions:

JDK 1.4.2
        Mx4J 1.1.1
        Spring 1.2 RC2

I also tried with latest snapshot of Spring Build without any success.

-Nilesh

Comment

Check out the Wiki for app server compatibility notes http://opensource.atlassian.com/conf...DOC/Spring+JMX.

For Tomcat 5.0.*, you need to specify a value of 0 for the default currencyTimeLimit descriptor this is done like so:
          Code:
          <bean id="exporter" class="org.springframework.jmx.export.MBeanExporter">
          		<property name="beans">
          			<map>
          				<entry key="bean&#58;name=testBean">
          					<ref local="testBean"/>
          				</entry>
          			</map>
          		</property>
          		<property name="server">
          			<ref local="server"/>
          		</property>
          		<property name="assembler">
          			<bean class="org.springframework.jmx.export.assembler.SimpleReflectiveMBeanInfoAssembler">
          				<property name="defaultCurrencyTimeLimit">
          					<value>0</value>
          				</property>
          			</bean>
          		</property>
          	</bean>
          Rob

Comment

MX4j 1.1.1 is pre JMX 1.2.1; a lot of things were unclear in those days. I suggest to upgrade the JMX library to 2.x or even 3.x; it should be clean upgrade with only some minor modifications.

Let me know how it goes.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your quick responses.

Rob, the compatibility matrix has no mention of Tomcat 4.1.*. Does that mean it is not supported?

-Nilesh

Comment

I would say it hasn't been rather tested

Comment

Just did a test on Tomcat 4.1.27 and posted findings on the Wiki.

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

Still get the same error.
                    What is the JMX console you are using?

Also what version of MX4j did you use?

-Nilesh

Comment

Can you do the same? Mention the version of your JDK and mx4j? Have you tried using mx4j 2.x and 3.x?

Comment

Hi Costin,

I am using following:

Tomcat 4.1.2
                        Mx4j ( I tried all 1.1.1, 2.01 and 3)
                        Mc4j 1.2 beta 7 ( and this says it has support for Mx4j 111 and 2)
                        JDK 1.4.2_07

With newer versions of Mx4j (2 & 3) my Mc4j can not connect and gives me a NameNotFound (jrmp) exception. Do I have to enable JSR connection?

If yes, then somewhere it said that the version of Tomcat I am using does not support JSR. Is this true.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Nilesh

Comment

Try to connect programatically (it's very simple if you are using the mx4j examples) or use a jmx-explorer like application (there are some servlets that do this) and see if your beans are exposed and/or if you can't connect to the JMX server.

Comment

Hi Costin

I am able to expose beans through HttpAdaptor provided with Mx4j. I am able to do so with Mx4j 2.

But I am not able to invoke operations. It throws an exception.

Any ideas?

-Nilesh

Comment

Pls post your exception stack trace. About mc4j I tried working with it about 1 year ago and I had some problems in defining JSR-160 (JMX-Remote) connectors and in the end I stopped using them.
                              Try to isolate the problem at level of jmx without the mc4j for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X