Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migating to Jetty from Tomcat

Hi,

I've got a annotation-based CXF web service hosted in Tomcat (with Spring 2.5). I'd like to use Jetty instead. Can someone please point me to a sample of Jetty and Spring hosting a web service?

Thank you in advance

Originally posted by wjn View Post
    Hi,

I've got a annotation-based CXF web service hosted in Tomcat (with Spring 2.5). I'd like to use Jetty instead. Can someone please point me to a sample of Jetty and Spring hosting a web service?

Thank you in advance
    Just from curiosity - for which reasons do you wish to migrate to Jetty?

Comment

Hi

I would like to have the option of doing without a web container which needs a separate install like Tomcat. Also - I would like to test performance on my web service between Tomcat and Jetty.

Comment

Hi

I would like to have the option of doing without a web container which needs a separate install like Tomcat. Also - I would like to test performance on my web service between Tomcat and Jetty.
        In installation area Tomcat differs from Jetty not so much. What exactly do you mean by "separate install"? IF you want to embed container in your application? It is doable with Tomcat as well as with Jetty.

And for testing purposes you may deploy your application in Jetty exactly the same way as in Tomcat (i.e. copy your application folder in container webapps folder).

Regards,
        Oleksandr

Comment

Originally posted by al0 View Post
          In installation area Tomcat differs from Jetty not so much. What exactly do you mean by "separate install"? IF you want to embed container in your application? It is doable with Tomcat as well as with Jetty.
          I was under the impression that you could not embed TomCat - that it was a standalone installation.

I'm struggling with the Jetty documentation though, Spring is documented very well but I don't quite know how to setup teh required servlets needed for the CXF web service in Jetty.

Comment

I was under the impression that you could not embed TomCat - that it was a standalone installation.

I'm struggling with the Jetty documentation though, Spring is documented very well but I don't quite know how to setup teh required servlets needed for the CXF web service in Jetty.
            Tomcat is packaged in many flavors, including embedded one, here is the links
            http://mirrorspace.org/apache/tomcat...5.25-embed.zip

This is for 5.5.

Tomcat 6.0 has no separate embedded packaging, but anyway may be embedded, see, for example, http://jcs.mobile-utopia.com/jcs/32936_Embedded.java.

You might as well want to see Javadoc for org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded and org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.

And once more - if you refer to Tomcat installator for Windows, then it exosts just for convinience of GUI-addicts. It is enough to unpack Tomcat's zip (platform-independent) and start batch (or shell script on Linux) to start Tomcat. There exists as well a script to register Tomcat service. BTW, Tomcat installed by windows installer lacks those scripts. And once more BTW - unzip mode is much more convinient then installer for Tomcat upgrade.

Regards,
            Oleksandr

Comment

Thank you for the info - I will have a look.

Comment

Working...
              X