X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Book] - Spring in Action

Is anyone reading or has read the book "Spring in Action"? Manning is usually pretty good.

I'm deciding between "Pro Spring" and this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Pro Spring" is written by one of the members of the Spring team correct?

I love Spring, I've written several applications in it. But I've learned it from looking at examples and playing with it. Now I want to start from the beginning and get to know it inside and out.

Josh

stateofmind - what exactly do you want to find out about the book? I don't have Pro Spring yet but I read Spring In Action.
    It depends on what do you expect from the book - if you are a novice then Spring in Action is for you. It contains also some explanations of how things works which are nice and make you understand the framework. If you are however experienced with Spring I don't think there is much to learn from the book - just MHO.

Comment

Stateofmind,

I am one of the authors of Pro Spring and I am indeed a Spring developer. Pro Spring is an extremely comprehensive book at just over 800 pages and was also reviewed by members of the Spring team before going to press. I starts right at the beginning with the very basics and goes all the way through the framework in some detail.

That said, I have heard excellent things about Spring in Action plus Craig Walls is a really knowledgable guy and he is a good author.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by costin
        stateofmind - what exactly do you want to find out about the book? I don't have Pro Spring yet but I read Spring In Action.
        I guess I didn't really mention that. I was wondering which one was "better".
        For example: Did one of them simply gloss over important features, etc.

Manning's "In Action" series of books are always well done, but I think I'm going to go with Rob's "Pro Spring", since it's from one of the authors and has been peer reviewed.

Thanks for the response.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by robh
          I am one of the authors of Pro Spring and I am indeed a Spring developer. I starts right at the beginning with the very basics and goes all the way through the framework in some detail.
          Thanks Rob. "Pro Spring" sounds like what I want then. Even though I am experienced with Spring, it never hurts to start from the beginning again. I'm sure there is quite a few things I've missed along the way.

Do you have any future plans of writing a full fledged manual for Spring? Or are you looking for any help in doing so?

Josh

Comment

Josh,

We are continuing to extend the reference manual for Spring. It is over 200 pages now and many of the issues for the 1.1.5 release are related to fixing/extending the documentation.

Any help you can offer in this area would be hugely appreciated by the entire team.

Rob

Comment

We are continuing to extend the reference manual for Spring. It is over 200 pages now and many of the issues for the 1.1.5 release are related to fixing/extending the documentation.

Any help you can offer in this area would be hugely appreciated by the entire team.

Rob
              Rob, I would glady offer any help I can in this area. Is there a list of corrections/changes or anything similar to that? Tell me what you need done and I'll start on it this weekend.

I would love to give back some of my time to this project.

Josh

Comment

Check out the JIRA lists for documentation related issues - there are quite a few left for the 1.1.5 release. Also if there is anything you feel is missing from the docs, raise it as an issue in JIRA and post your patch there.

Rob

Comment

Josh

Yes, documentation help is always welcome. Thanks for offering.

Rgds
                  Rod

Comment

Availability problems 'Spring in Action' book ?

Ordered the book from Amazon (US) . After about 6 weeks the book is still not yet available. Did you have any problems ordering the book? I wondered if this is a general problem, or just with Amazon.

Comment

It seems to be out of stock at Bookpool as well.

Comment

I'm chasing up with the publisher regarding the stock issue.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

how about the Professional Java Development with the Spring Framework, is that expected to actually ship when they claim?
                          I ordered it last august, seems the delivery date has been pushed several times.

As far as Spring in Action "vs" Pro Spring, why not both ;-)
                          Manning lets you buy ebooks, I have piles of those on my system.

You might want to check out safari.oreilly.com for titles. I'd really like to see some of these spring books show up on oreilly, but I guess that's not going to happen.

Comment

Stateofmind,

I am one of the authors of Pro Spring and I am indeed a Spring developer. Pro Spring is an extremely comprehensive book at just over 800 pages and was also reviewed by members of the Spring team before going to press. I starts right at the beginning with the very basics and goes all the way through the framework in some detail.

That said, I have heard excellent things about Spring in Action plus Craig Walls is a really knowledgable guy and he is a good author.

Rob
                            I'm in the middle of "Pro Spring" right now. Great job Rob! I love the book.

Josh

Comment

I've bought Pro Spring and borrowed Spring in Action from a friend. I feel that Pro Spring goes into more details than Spring In Action. For example Pro Spring Hibernate chapter can easily be picked up by someone who has never used Hibernate before. In contrast Spring In Action assumes you know about Hibernate already.

Comment

Working...
                              X