X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeanWrapper and PropertyEditors

I'm trying to read a bean property via BeanWrapper.getPropertyValue(). I have also registered a custom editor for the property class which implements the getAsText() method. However, it seems that the custom editor method is never invoked.

Code:

BeanWrapper wrapper = new BeanWrapperImpl(object);
    wrapper.registerCustomEditor(Carrier.class, new PropertyEditorSupport() {     
          public String getAsText() {
            Carrier c = (Carrier)getValue();
            String result =  (c != null) ? c.getName() : null;
            return result;
          }
    });
    Object value = wrapper.getPropertyValue(fieldName);
    Am I doing something wrong or is this behaviour by design?

Thanks, Juergen

The getPropertyValue() method returns just the value of the property as is. The main use of the PropertyEditor is the ability to set the property value from a string value (e.g. from within a spring configuration file).

So if you like to have the string representation I think you will have to apply the PropertyEditor yourself.

Regards,
    Andreas

Comment

Andreas, thanks for your reply. Wouldn't it extend the usefulness of BeanWrapper if PropertyEditors were also applied for getting properties?

Juergen

Comment

For direct use of the BeanWrapper I hadn't the need to access the stringified version of a bean property so far (though I do not use BeanWrapper directly very often).

I guess there is some support for this in Spring's WebUI (since there such a feature would indeed be required). However I haven't used this part of Spring, so I cannot provide you with more details on that.

Regards,
        Andreas

Comment

Working...
        X