Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injecting into an HTTP session (Webwork not Spring MVC)

I'm using Spring in combination with Webwork and the "external-ref" techique of integrating them together. This is working well.

Webwork's built-in IoC (which I'm not using) allows one to inject a component into the session object. More specifically to inject into WebWork's session object which is a wrapper around HttpSession.

My question is: how can I use spring to instantiate the object and inject it into the session? Ideally into WebWork's session wrapper, but I'd settle for injection into the HttpSession.

Thanks!

- Gary

Have you checked xwork-optional ? http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...va.net/&e=7629

Comment

Look at the ServletContextAttributeExporter. It should do what you want. It's new in 1.1.4.

Comment

Look at the ServletContextAttributeExporter. It should do what you want. It's new in 1.1.4.
        Thanks. Looked promising. *Almost* exactly what I need. But it injects objects into the ServletContext, not a session (as it starts up, say).

Or am I missing something?

- Gary

Comment

You could use an HttpSessionListener to detect when a user's session begins and stuff a bean into it at that point.

Matt

Comment

You could use an HttpSessionListener to detect when a user's session begins and stuff a bean into it at that point.
            Right.

But that's not really an improvement over the session-injection that WebWork offers with its own IoC system.

What I'm looking for is a way to do this from a standard Spring applicationContext.xml.

If I can't get Spring to do it, I guess I'll just fallback to using WebWork's IoC.

- Gary

Comment

I can't think of a way to do this without specifying something in the web.xml, since that's the only way to tell the servlet container about a SessionListener. What does WebWork do?

However, I can think of a way to this with an entry in web.xml (to register the session listener), an entry in the applicationcontext.xml file, and the use of the ExternalSpringBean system I described in this thread:

http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=12528

(the code supplied needs a small fix for 1.1.4; if you are interested, I will post the fix)
              Last edited by robyn; May 19th, 2006, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I can't think of a way to do this without specifying something in the web.xml, since that's the only way to tell the servlet container about a SessionListener. What does WebWork do?
                WebWork uses a listener. It's not that I want to do it without a listener, I just want to do it without a custom listener of my own. In other words, I want support from the framework for the injection.

WebWork does do this with it's built-in injection feature. It sets up a general-purpose listener with which it's able to offer me the ability to inject into the session.

I was just hoping for a similar facility from Spring.

- Gary

Comment

Its gonna be ready probably in 2.0 M2. Alef Arendsen is working on it.

Its in JIRA:
                  http://opensource2.atlassian.com/pro...browse/SPR-437

its coming in a bit late considering the common nature of the prob, but hey, thats better than nothing =D

Comment

Working...
                  X