Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singleton bean in session scope bean

Hi all,

I'm using a session scoped bean in a Struts 2 application. This session bean has a dependency to a back-end singleton service. I declared this singleton service as transient in the session bean class (because the singleton does not need to be serialized).

It worked good so far, but I was just wondering if it was not risky to do so. Indeed, if the session bean is serialized and then unserialized, will the singleton be re-injected?

Any hint welcome

Hi,

this will not be done. Because the while deserializing the bean, the new() constructor is called outside the beanfactory. One way to re-wire the bean is to use @Configurable

Have a look here

best rgds
    agim

Comment

Under what circumstances would your session scoped bean be serialized/deserialized? In a failover scenario? If your scoped bean needs to be serializable then @Configurable is the only way I can think you would implement this. But if possible you should find a way to not make your bean serializable. That way only Spring controls the lifecycle of your bean, making @Configurable not needed.

Comment

thank to both you for your reply.

Originally posted by wpoitras View Post
        Under what circumstances would your session scoped bean be serialized/deserialized? In a failover scenario? If your scoped bean needs to be serializable then @Configurable is the only way I can think you would implement this. But if possible you should find a way to not make your bean serializable. That way only Spring controls the lifecycle of your bean, making @Configurable not needed.
        There's no need of recovery (this is not critical if the user must log on again after a server failure), I only need the bean to be session scoped. I don't know much about session handling mechanics in web containers but I fear the web container could serialize the bean for any reason (ex.: need of memory) between two requests. If this scenario cannot happen (i.e. the session bean will never be serialized), well, there's no problem anymore

Comment

Originally posted by arno View Post
          I fear the web container could serialize the bean for any reason (ex.: need of memory) between two requests.
          No reason to fear. I would not consider breaking the session serializability a good approach but unless the session needs to survive a server restart or some session replication (e.g. in a cluster) there is no risk.

Joerg

Comment

Working...
          X