X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing Dependency Injection

I am trying to inject a dependency into a class. The class is named TechnicianViewHelper and looks something like this:

Code:
    public class TechnicianViewHelper {

private TechnicianService technicianService;

@Required
        public void setTechnicianService(TechnicianService technicianService) {
            this.technicianService = technicianService;
        }

private int technicianId;

public void setTechnicianId(int technicianId) {
            this.technicianId = technicianId;
        }

public List<Technician> getUnapprovedTechnicians() {
            List<Technician> unapprovedTechnicianList = technicianService.getUnapprovedTechnicians();
            return unapprovedTechnicianList;
            //return technicianService.getUnapprovedTechnicians();
        }
    }
    Since this is a webapp, the related bean definitions in applicationContext.xml look something like this:

HTML Code:
        <bean id="technicianService" class="mil.af.amc.projecttracker.service.TechnicianServiceImpl">
            <property name="technicianDao">
                <ref bean="technicianDao" />
            </property>
            <property name="personDao">
                <ref bean="personDao" />
            </property>
            <property name="gradeDao">
                <ref bean="gradeDao" />
            </property>
            <property name="baseDao">
                <ref bean="baseDao" />
            </property>
            <property name="organizationDao">
                <ref bean="organizationDao" />
            </property>
            <property name="officeSymbolDao">
                <ref bean="officeSymbolDao" />
            </property>
            <property name="permissionDao">
                <ref bean="permissionDao" />
            </property>
            <property name="projectDao">
                <ref bean="projectDao" />
            </property>
        </bean>

<bean id="technicianViewHelper" class="mil.af.amc.projecttracker.web.viewhelpers.TechnicianViewHelper" depends-on="technicianService">
            <property name="technicianService">
                <ref bean="technicianService" />
            </property>
        </bean>
    I'm reasonably sure that technicianService is working correctly: my LoginAction defined in action-servlet.xml pulls the same service and works fine.

I've also tried, in desperation, switching the technicianViewHelper to be autowired by name. But when I attempt to debug the TechnicianViewHelper class, the debug shows the technician service to be null, and a NullPointerException is thrown.

Am I just making a stupid mistake here?

Jason

You are retrieving this bean from Spring right, and not just "new TechnicianViewHelper()"?

BTW; if the dependency is required I would consider using constructor injection.

I would also avoid autowiring like the plague...really

Comment

No, I'm definitely using Spring.

I've changed the bean definition for technicianViewHelper to the following:

HTML Code:
          <bean id="technicianViewHelper" class="mil.af.amc.projecttracker.web.viewhelpers.TeamViewHelper">
              <constructor-arg type="mil.af.amc.projecttracker.service.TechnicianService" index="1">
              </constructor-arg>
          </bean>
      and put the following constructor into TechnicianViewHelper:

Code:
          public TechnicianViewHelper(TechnicianService technicianService) {
              this.technicianService = technicianService;
          }
      However, the application will now not instantiate, giving the following error:

2007-08-07 10:51:46.677 ERROR J2EE HTTP-00004 Internal error raised tyring to instantiate web-application: projecttracker defined in web site OC4J 10g (10.1.3) Default Web Site. Error creating bean with name technicianViewHelper' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/classes/applicationContext.xml]: 1 constructor arguments specified but no matching constructor found in bean 'technicianViewHelper' (hint: specify index and/or type arguments for simple parameters to avoid type ambiguities)

Again, I'm probably making silly mistakes here.

(One more thing: TechnicianService is an interface, and the implementation is TechnicianServiceImpl, if that helps.

Comment

Your bean definition is for TeamViewHelper, but your java code is for TechnicianViewHelper

Comment

Okay, that scream you just heard was likely me... I must've hit the autocomplete in IDEA too quickly. Thanks for the assistance... I'm on to an entirely new exception now...

(And I usually try to avoid autowiring because the explanation "it's magic" doesn't help the maintainers much...)

Comment

Alright, back to square one... I can't use a <constructor-arg> because the TechnicanViewHelper is used in a JSP as a bean:

HTML Code:
                <jsp:useBean id="technicianViewHelper"
                             scope="page"
                             class="mil.af.amc.projecttracker.web.viewhelpers.TechnicianViewHelper" />
            Unfortunately, jsp:useBean requires a no-argument constructor. If it weren't for that, the constructor-arg method seems to work.

Here is the current bean definition for the TechnicianViewHelper:

HTML Code:
                <bean id="technicianViewHelper" class="mil.af.amc.projecttracker.web.viewhelpers.TechnicianViewHelper">
                    <property name="technicianService">
                    </property>
                </bean>
            Any more ideas?

Comment

I think you're on to the core of the problem. jsp:useBean requires a no argument constructor, because it will use this constructor to instantiate a bean...

Check out http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=36326.

Comment

Originally posted by DartmanX2 View Post
                Alright, back to square one... I can't use a <constructor-arg> because the TechnicanViewHelper is used in a JSP as a bean:
                I generally put any beans that the view needs into the Model that the view renders.

In other words rather than using jsp:useBean I would modify my controller to put it into the model, the view just picks it up out of the model.

Comment

Working...
                X