Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Spring 2.0.3 to 2.0.5 error

servus,

I develop a webapp using maven2, spring2 and jetty6. Everything works fine until I decided to update to the latest spring version (from 2.0.3 to 2.0.5).

Now I have got the following error
    Code:
    [INFO] DispatcherServlet - FrameworkServlet 'grabbl': initialization started
    2007-06-20 16:15:49.980::WARN:  failed grabbl
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.springframework.web.context.ConfigurableWebApplicationContext.addApplicationListener(Lorg/springframework/context/ApplicationListener;)V
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.createWebApplicationContext(FrameworkServlet.java:329)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.initWebApplicationContext(FrameworkServlet.java:266)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.initServletBean(FrameworkServlet.java:236)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.HttpServletBean.init(HttpServletBean.java:126)
            at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:241)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:433)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(ServletHolder.java:256)
            at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:40)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:617)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:139)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1218)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:500)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:448)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:147)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.doStart(ContextHandlerCollection.java:161)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:147)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:117)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:220)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.Jetty6PluginServer.start(Jetty6PluginServer.java:132)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.AbstractJettyMojo.startJetty(AbstractJettyMojo.java:345)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.AbstractJettyMojo.execute(AbstractJettyMojo.java:286)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.AbstractJettyRunMojo.execute(AbstractJettyRunMojo.java:204)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.Jetty6RunMojo.execute(Jetty6RunMojo.java:183)
            at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:443)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:493)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:463)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
            at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)
            at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)
            at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:272)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
            at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:315)
            at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:255)
            at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:430)
            at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:375)
    Does someone have had the same problem, while upgrading?
    Or does anyone know what I have to do?

Locking in the changelog of spring I have found the following additional information in the Changes of version 2.0.4 (2007-04-10)

http://static.springframework.org/sp.../changelog.txt

Code:
    Package org.springframework.context
    * added "addApplicationListener" method to ConfigurableApplicationContext interface, for statically registered listeners

Comment

I'd guess you have some conflicting jars flying around (of both the old and the new Spring version). The NoSuchMethodError can only occur if the code calling this method was compiled against code that had the method. Otherwise you obviously would have a compiler error.

Jörg

Comment

Thanks Jörg,

I also use the spring lucene modules 0.8. This package requires spring 2.0.3. I did not check that maven dependency.
        Now I switched back to spring 2.0.3.

Greetings from Leipzig and some of your old teammates from Virbus
        Tobias

Comment

Error returns with 2.0.6

My log states:

*ERROR* [/infospring]: StandardWrapper.Throwable (ApplicationContext.java, line 660)
          java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.springframework.web.context.ConfigurableWebApp licationContext.addApplicationListener(Lorg/springframework/context/ApplicationListenerV

and a grep -r "addApplicationListener" * reveals :

spring-framework-2.0.6/src/org/springframework/web/servlet/FrameworkServlet.java: wac.addApplicationListener(this);
          spring-framework-2.0.6/src/org/springframework/web/portlet/FrameworkPortlet.java: pac.addApplicationListener(new SourceFilteringListener(pac, this));
          spring-framework-2.0.6/src/org/springframework/context/event/AbstractApplicationEventMulticaster.java: public void addApplicationListener(ApplicationListener listener) {
          spring-framework-2.0.6/src/org/springframework/context/event/ApplicationEventMulticaster.java: void addApplicationListener(ApplicationListener listener);
          spring-framework-2.0.6/src/org/springframework/context/ConfigurableApplicationContext.java: void addApplicationListener(ApplicationListener listener);
          spring-framework-2.0.6/src/org/springframework/context/support/AbstractApplicationContext.java: public void addApplicationListener(ApplicationListener listener) {
          spring-framework-2.0.6/src/org/springframework/context/support/AbstractApplicationContext.java: getApplicationEventMulticaster().addApplicationLis tener(listener);

and I find no other place referring to "addApplicationListener"...

Comment

I have a look and ensure you don't have duplicate Spring JARs on the classpath.
            Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 29th, 2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X