Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justify and describe using Spring on a project.

I used Spring as part of the refactoring of an old, model 1, style web site. I have been asked to write a couple of paragraphs about why I used Spring and why Spring is a good thing. This information will be added to an abstract of a paper about the changes that have been made to the site.

I could do this in a heartbeat if the audience was developers but for this instance the audience will not be particularly technically savvy. In fact, I'm pretty sure none of them have ever heard of Spring.

Could someone point me to a blurb about Spring that would handle this? I will paraphrase whatever I use so I'm mostly interested in the tone and the depth (or actually the lack of depth) of coverage of technical issues.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -=bill

I would of thought one of the multitude of Spring introduction articles, books or the reference manual should have lots of information on why it's a good thing. You just need to spin the technical aspects into business language e.g. handles all the boilerplate code for us = saves us time and money as we don't have to write this.
    Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to hear what others had done to justify using Spring because I was not sure what to say to those who could not appreciate the technical side of Spring vs J2EE.

I eventually paraphrased from several sections of _Spring In Action_ by Walls & Breidenbach. I emphasized the time saving and the positive long term maintenance aspects.

All feedback was positive so, as you said, saving time and money is what they wanted to hear.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
      -=b

Comment

Originally posted by Wm Stafford View Post
        I eventually paraphrased from several sections of _Spring In Action_ by Walls & Breidenbach. I emphasized the time saving and the positive long term maintenance aspects. All feedback was positive so, as you said, saving time and money is what they wanted to hear.
        Funny how saving time and money helps make a good argument . Glad you sorted it out!
        Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

My opening paragraph from a technical paper

"Spring has become an industry-standard framework for developing java applications. Many solutions that software engineers need to utilize do not require the full power of Enterprise Java Beans. Spring has helped to fill this void by giving developers a lighter weight system to help make code easier to maintain and test. Code that is easier to maintain and test is often easier to secure, and cheaper to sustain."

Another paragraph states:

"Spring offers a free Internet forum to post technically-oriented questions. This site has something on the order of 20,109 threads, 79,183 posted comments, 13,460 members and 1,845 active members (http://forum.springframework.org/ 10/2/2006). This indicates a huge resource of technical knowledge to help Spring-based development efforts."

Comment

Working...
          X