Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeanUtils.copyProperties(source, target) question

Hi all,

small question (or request for change when deemed necessary). I use the BeanUtils.copyProperties method to populate a domain object from a form. The problem is that the form has properties for 3 specific domain objects, and thus when using BeanUtils.copyProperties method, I receive an error because not each object has all the properties. So while looking around, I saw that the BeanWrapperImpl throws an invalidPropertyException when a descriptor is missing. I understand why this is needed, but right now I can't use the copyProperties method. Is it possible to add another method that will catch the exception and just continue?

e.g.

Code:
    	/**
    	 * Shameless rip of BeanUtils.copyProperties, but this method will catch the exceptions that are thrown when the
    	 * descriptor's don't match in either bean, populating only those properties that are both present.
    	 * Copy the property values of the given source bean into the given target bean,
    	 * ignoring the given ignoreProperties.
    	 * @param source the source bean
    	 * @param target the target bean
    	 * @param ignoreProperties array of property names to ignore
    	 * @throws IllegalArgumentException if the classes of source and target do not match
    	 */
    	public static void copyProperties(Object source, Object target, String[] ignoreProperties)
    			throws IllegalArgumentException, BeansException {
    		if (source == null || target == null) {
    			throw new IllegalArgumentException("Source and target must not be null");
    		}
    		List ignoreList = (ignoreProperties != null) ? Arrays.asList(ignoreProperties) : null;
    		BeanWrapper sourceBw = new BeanWrapperImpl(source);
    		BeanWrapper targetBw = new BeanWrapperImpl(target);
    		MutablePropertyValues values = new MutablePropertyValues();
    		for &#40;int i = 0; i < sourceBw.getPropertyDescriptors&#40;&#41;.length; i++&#41; &#123;
    			PropertyDescriptor sourceDesc = sourceBw.getPropertyDescriptors&#40;&#41;&#91;i&#93;;
    			String name = sourceDesc.getName&#40;&#41;;
    			PropertyDescriptor targetDesc = null;
    			try &#123;
    				targetDesc = targetBw.getPropertyDescriptor&#40;name&#41;;
    			&#125;
    			catch &#40;InvalidPropertyException e&#41; &#123;
    				continue;
    			&#125;
    			if &#40;targetDesc.getWriteMethod&#40;&#41; != null && targetDesc.getReadMethod&#40;&#41; != null &&
    					&#40;ignoreProperties == null || &#40;!ignoreList.contains&#40;name&#41;&#41;&#41;&#41; &#123;
    				values.addPropertyValue&#40;new PropertyValue&#40;name, sourceBw.getPropertyValue&#40;name&#41;&#41;&#41;;
    			&#125;
    		&#125;
    		targetBw.setPropertyValues&#40;values&#41;;
    	&#125;
    Or should I use another class/method for this scenario?

Regards
    Ronald

I use commons bean utils instead.

Comment

Working...
    X