X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Spring Question

We are researching frameworks and would like to try to develop something small with spring and see how it will benefit our development effort. We are running Resin, using Java 1.4 and running servlets and using prepared and callable statements.

Questions:

1. Is it ok to develop something small using spring right in our current environment without affecting the environment in any way?

2. Is there a really good "step by step" document for developing a spring application?

Originally posted by A Harris View Post
    1. Is it ok to develop something small using spring right in our current environment without affecting the environment in any way?
    Yes it's possible to integerate Spring and only use bits of it. Do you have anymore details about what you are trying to do here?

2. Is there a really good "step by step" document for developing a spring application?
    I would take a look at the examples that ship with Spring. Petclinic might be a good starting point and I would recommend having a look at the first few chapters of the reference manual (one - three). After that just look at the bits you want to use. There are also lots of articles out there that might be useful.
    http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2...ngwebapps.html

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will check out the documentation you suggest.

We've been developing the same way on our intranet for years. I think we are looking for proof of concept that Spring can increase our productivity and decrease development time. We also need to start with something small because we realize there will be a learning curve and need to get over it first. Since Mgt. doesn't see spring, we want to prove benefit.

So, that said, we would probably start with the Spring DAO piece. We would also like to investigate the MVC and Web functionality.

We currently use XSLT for our view. Can we use Spring with that? If so, good documentation on how?

Any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Oh yes, you can.
        Spring FW is not just great, it also provides us users with a great documentation!

http://static.springframework.org/sp...html#view-xslt

Comment

We've been developing the same way on our intranet for years. I think we are looking for proof of concept that Spring can increase our productivity and decrease development time. We also need to start with something small because we realize there will be a learning curve and need to get over it first. Since Mgt. doesn't see spring, we want to prove benefit.

So, that said, we would probably start with the Spring DAO piece. We would also like to investigate the MVC and Web functionality.
          I've embarked on a project like this before. It's very hard to explain to management type people what this new thing in as there aren't any external changes. It's one of those, trust me it's better kind of things . We started down in the Dao's with JDBC, then transactions, AOP, remoting, quartz integration, struts integration, petty much ended up using most of the stack. It really is possible to add a bit at a time!

Comment

Working...
          X