Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <property> format error?

Hello,

I'm stumped on this error msg:
    org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 13 of document : Element type "property" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>". Nested exception: Element type "property" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
    My applicationConfig.xml follows with the problematic line in bold:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE beans PUBLIC "-//SPRING//DTD BEAN 2.0//EN"
    "http://www.springframework.org/dtd/spring-beans-2.0.dtd">

<beans>

<import resource="datasource-config.xml"/>

<bean id="sessionFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSes sionFactoryBean">
    <property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource"/>
    <property name="mappingResources">
    <list>
    <value>publish.hbm.xml</value>
    </list>
    </property>
    <property name="hibernateProperties">
    <props>
    <prop key="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQ LDialect</prop>
    <prop key="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto">update</prop>
    </props>
    </property>
    </bean>

<bean id="publishDAO" class="com.sas.dwin.PublishDAOImpl">
    <property name="sessionFactory" ref="sessionFactory"/>
    </bean>

</beans>

(proper indenting seems to be lost during the paste)
    When I remove that line, xml is parsed correctly, but of course hibernate doesn't get its mapping. per DTD it seems to be correct XML -- and I copied it from the Spring 2.0 reference manual so I assume it should work.

Suggestions appreciated!

-- David

If you put the code in [ code] [ /code] tags it won't loose the formatting. As for the XML, I had a look at it in SpringIDE and it validated fine. Is that the exact XML that was failing? Just out of interest could we see the full stracktrace?

Comment

properties

Yes, its the exact xml. Deleting that one line passes validation. I even tried deleting all the blanks between the tags in case there was a non-displayed char, but I'm totall stumped!

Comment

A total guess... perhaps copying from PDF ended up adding some strange (invisible?) characters. For me copying from Word often does something funny; usually due to smart quotes.

Try removing the offending line and a little bit around it. Then retype manually.

-Ramnivas

Comment

Those pesky invisible characters . I have also had the same thing before, it's a real pain. If you are still having problems, you'll have to attach the file instead so we can have a look.

Comment

&lt;property&gt; format error?

Even retyping did not solve unfortunately. Configuration file is attached. Your help is appreaciated big-time!

Here's the error msg again:

Code:
            Exception in thread "main" org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource [ApplicationConfiguration.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.hibernate.InvalidMappingException: Could not parse mapping document from input stream
            Caused by: org.hibernate.InvalidMappingException: Could not parse mapping document from input stream
            	at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.addInputStream(Configuration.java:508)
            	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean.buildSessionFactory(LocalSessionFactoryBean.java:651)
            	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.AbstractSessionFactoryBean.afterPropertiesSet(AbstractSessionFactoryBean.java:131)
            	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1062)
            	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1029)
            	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:420)
            	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:245)
            	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:141)
            	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:242)
            ....etc...
            Caused by: org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 13 of document  : Element type "property" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>". Nested exception: Element type "property" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
            	at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:355)
            	at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.addInputStream(Configuration.java:499)
            	... 15 more

Comment

I don't think this is anything to do with the Spring configuration, I think it's the actual Hibernate hbm. Is it possible to post the hbm file?

Comment

&lt;property&gt; format error?

absolutely. It is attached. I never supposed that it would be processed at that point!
                It may very well have an error as I have not yet figured out for sure how to model this simple record which does not have a synthetic key (id).

Comment

Ok, problem solved...... I hope. The last property has an extra quote at the end.

This
                  Code:
                  <property name="model" column="MODEL" type="java.lang.String" not-null="true""/>
                  Should be this
                  Code:
                  <property name="model" column="MODEL" type="java.lang.String" not-null="true"/>

Comment

Thank you very much Karl. I never figured the "property parsing" error was actually processing the mapping file! I can figure out the rest....

Comment

Not a problem, glad it's sorted! I should have actually read it properly in the first place, I just saw property and thought Spring. I didn't think about the Hibernate hbm. Oohhh well, chalk that one up to tiredness .

Comment

Working...
                      X