Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profiling a Spring application

Hi all,

I am trying to profile a Spring application using Eclipse TPTP but the only stats I get are related to Spring classes. I can't get any datas on my code. I am almost certain it is related to Spring using different classloaders to actually load my classes. So I was wondering if anyone has had some success in using Eclipse TPTP to profile a Spring application. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a second note, I wanted to add that I am not closed to the idea of using another tool. I am willing to use TPTP at the moment because it is well integrated with Eclipse and BIRT but it seems really oriented toward the dinosaur container model. Maybe I should use a more lightweight profiler based on AOP. I have read an article from Adrian Colyer and he seems to recommend Jamon. I guess I should give it a try. Well I'm open to suggestion if anyone wants to share their experience in profiling.

Thank!
    Last edited by madtree; Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM.

I have used YourKit and JProbe successfully (both commercial) for both heap and CPU analysis. YourKit is nicer to use, in my opinion. TPTP seemed a bit basic to me, and I had trouble with understanding how to follow references in the heap analysis. For profiling I'm surprised you can't get it to work - there must be a way to configure which classes are profiled, but I'm not able to try it out myself right now.

Comment

Originally posted by david_syer View Post
      I have used YourKit and JProbe successfully (both commercial) for both heap and CPU analysis. YourKit is nicer to use, in my opinion. TPTP seemed a bit basic to me, and I had trouble with understanding how to follow references in the heap analysis. For profiling I'm surprised you can't get it to work - there must be a way to configure which classes are profiled, but I'm not able to try it out myself right now.
      Well I am able to get stats on my main method without any problem. I just can't get any stats on objects loaded by the DI container. I guess it doesn't work when a class is loaded using a different class loader.

Comment

Working...
      X