• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best testing strategy: EasyMock and JMock

Which one is best?

dino

Tough question.

Spring uses EasyMock for internal Unit Testing, but I think it is a close call.

They both allow for mocking of interfaces and classes (using, like Spring AOP, JDK dynamic proxies and CGLIB).

Comment

I would use them both. The APIs are sufficiently different that each one feels 'better' for one scenario vs. another...

Comment

I'm starting to like the jmock. Very flexible. Way more flexible that EasyMock.

But boy, these guys don't believe in javadoc (not a single line). What's with these guys. Are they so arogant that they don't have to document their code? I wish they would take a look at spring and see how real documentation is done (this is why I believe that pico container has not taken off. They really don't like to document their stuff).

I do find their method calling a bit strange (not intuitive and really hacky). E.g.

mockOrganizationDAO.expects(once()).method("getLis t").with(same(OrganizationDao.READ_ALPHA_ID_ORDERE D),
        eq(new Object[]{newOrg.getAlphaOrganizationId()})).
        will(returnValue(newOrgList));

Is it me or is the above code not very pleasant to look at (and very difficult to code it right).

I created my own abstraction:
        TestMethod method = new TestMethod(once(), "getList");
        method.setArguments(same(OrganizationDao.READ_ALPH A_ID_ORDERED), eq(new Object[]{newOrg.getAlphaOrganizationId()}));
        method.setReturnValue(newOrgList);
        mockOrganizationDAO.expects(method);

Simple and clean.

Dino

Comment

Working...
        X