Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Help: How do I install spring-framework-1.2.8 on Sun Java System Application Server? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: How do I install spring-framework-1.2.8 on Sun Java System Application Server?

I am using Sun Java System Application Server 8.2.

Here are the list of jars that I have in my application server /lib directory:

activation.jar
    admin-cli.jar
    appserv-admin.jar
    appserv-assemblytool.jar
    appserv-cmp.jar
    appserv-ext.jar
    appserv-jstl.jar
    appserv-rt.jar
    appserv-tags.jar
    appserv-upgrade.jar
    commons-launcher.jar
    commons-logging.jar
    deployhelp.jar
    dom.jar
    j2ee.jar
    j2ee-svc.jar
    jax-qname.jar
    jaxr-api.jar
    jaxr-impl.jar
    jaxrpc-api.jar
    jaxrpc-impl.jar
    jhall.jar
    jmxremote.jar
    jmxremote_optional.jar
    jstl-1.1.0.jar
    log4j-1.2.13.jar
    mail.jar
    ojdbc14.jar
    relaxngDatatype.jar
    rmissl.jar
    saaj-api.jar
    saaj-impl.jar
    sun-appserv-ant.jar
    xalan.jar
    xercesImpl.jar
    xsdlib.jar

What is the proper way to install the dependancies in the spring-framework-1.2.8/lib directory without polluting my current install?

Thanks,

--Todd

Todd,

I generally include them with the applications that need them eg in the
    WEB-INF/lib directory of a web application.

Also, in that way you can also have multiple applications that depend on different versions of spring, or supporting libaries.
    Jonny

Comment

Jonny: I understand that - what I am describing is what do I need in my application server's lib directory for runtime?

I am using Sun Java System Application Server 8.2, my lib path is:

/SUNWappserver/lib/

Thanks,

--Todd

Comment

Hi Todd

Spring's runtime dependencies are described in detail in the readme.txt file that is part of the Spring distribution (see the top level directory of the distro).

Which exact dependencies you need depends on how much (or little) of the entire Spring framework you are using. The (typical) minimal footprint (for want of a better word) is spring.jar and commons-logging.jar. If you are using Spring AOP, then you most probably will also want cglib.jar (the keyword there being probably; it is certainly not mandatory).

If there are version mismatches between the versions of libraries that Spring is using and that your app server is exposing (commons-logging is a common culprit), then there are usually app server specific workarounds. I haven't used Sun Java System Application Server 8.2, but WebLogic has their own XML-based override mechanism (for example), so I'd suggest reading the docs for the Sun Java System app server.

Is there any specific issue or error that prompted your post?

Cheers
        Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick.

It turned out to be a commons issue as you had noted.

I am taking baby steps in trying to get the Spring demos to work, then I need to get the acegi-security demo to work then I need to figure out how to incoporate acegi-security with JSF/ICEfaces.

--Todd

Comment

Working...
          X