X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• validation of config.xml before creating container

is it possible to take a beans config file and validate it prior to passing it as a constructor arg to a configurable application context?

the only real way that i can think of (and hopefully there's a better solution)
    would be to simply try/catch the

new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext("classpath:/foo/bar.xml")

and if it throws a BeansException, then you know the file is no good?

by no good or valid in this sense i mean, can the container create everything that's inside it properly - like are all the beans in the classpath, do the constructor and/or property arguments work, etc. - i'm not talking about a well-formed XML, mind you.

thanks in advance.

As far as I know - no. Actually I doubt it's really possible to do the full verification without actual initialization - sure it could work for simple beans, but with more complex stuff like factories and aop it gets very hairy.

The best way imo is to write a simple integration test that loads the context. It will catch everything except classloading stuff.

Comment

yeah, i've got an application that's supported by many (hundreds) of different config files, and they're created/modified by many different ppl. a single mistake and all bets are off.

i was trying to avoid building a lot of scaffolding around those files. thanks though, for the reply

Comment

May want to see if Spring IDE project contains code that does this.

For extreme reliability you would probably want to verify a config file before you find out it is incorrect during actual use, not only during integration testing. Of course, not always possible.

Comment

Working...
        X