X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems building Spring 1.2.8 in Eclipse

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a more appropriate one.)

I thought it would be handy to have Spring 1.2.8 as an Eclipse project, so that I could more easily walk through the source.

For anyone else thinking of doing this, here's the problems I encountered and how I worked around them:
    1. Downloaded spring-framework-1.2.8-with-dependencies.zip
    2. In Eclipse (3.2), created a new Java project called "Spring 1.2.8"
    3. Imported the contents of the zip file into that project (using File -> Import...)
    4. Step (3) creates a top-level folder called spring-framework-1.2.8, so I dragged its contents to the project root before deleting it
    5. Went to the command prompt in my project's root folder and ran the "maven eclipse" goal to generate the Eclipse project files. This threw the following errors:
    Code:
     __  __
     |  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
     | |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
     |_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.1-beta-2

The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependencies:

activemq-1.1.jar; path override doesn't exist: C:\workspace\Spring 1.2.8\lib\activemq\activemq-1.1.jar
     concurrent-1.3.4.jar; path override doesn't exist: C:\workspace\Spring 1.2.8\lib\concurrent\concurrent-1.3.4.jar
     jasperreports-1.0.0.jar; path override doesn't exist: C:\workspace\Spring 1.2.8\lib\jasperreports\jasperreports-1.0.2.jar
     db-ojb-1.0.1.jar; path override doesn't exist: C:\workspace\Spring 1.2.8\lib\ojb\db-ojb-1.0.3.jar
     quartz-1.4.2.jar; path override doesn't exist: C:\workspace\Spring 1.2.8\lib\quartz\quartz-1.5.0.jar
     velocity-tools-generic-1.1.jar; path override doesn't exist: C:\workspace\Spring 1.2.8\lib\velocity\velocity-tools-generic-1.1.jar

Total time   : 5 seconds
     Finished at  : Thursday, 13 July 2006 14:16:21
    It looks like some of the maven.jar.* entries in project.properties don't have corresponding files in the JAR file's "lib" folder.

So I then downloaded the JARs mentioned at the end of each of the above lines from iBiblio to the respective folder in my project's lib folder structure (e.g. downloaded jasperreports-1.0.2.jar to lib\jasperreports). iBiblio didn't have a final quartz-1.5.0.jar (only RC's), so I downloaded that one from the Quartz project site. The "eclipse" Maven goal then ran successfully.

However Eclipse then complained that Quartz 1.5.0 was on the build path twice, so I deleted one of those build path entries manually via Project Properties (presumably the "eclipse" goal put it there twice?).

Then I got a compilation error that turned out to be because project.xml (which Maven reads in order to set the Eclipse build path) specifies Struts 1.2.4 when in fact the project requires Struts 1.2.8 (the struts.jar project's lib/struts folder in fact is of this version, and lib/readme.txt also says the latter version is required). Presumably this would have stopped the project compiling under Maven as well.

Then the project compiled! It seems to have been an unnecessarily difficult process that could be simplified by fixing a couple of metadata files. Should I log a JIRA issue about this?
Working...
X