Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieve app context from POJO

Hi,

I have a web application where the application context files are placed in the WEB-INF directory. I would like to retrieve these context files from a regular POJO that has no access to the servlet context or does not even know its in a web environment. I tried using ClassPathXml... to no avail. I want to avoid absolute paths or anything dependent on the OS directories. I also looked into XmlWebApplicationContext but I don't know how to use this appropriately. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-los

Sure, just have your POJO implement the ApplicationContextAware interface. It will allow you to have a local reference to the app context files. Page 143 of Rob Harrop's Pro Spring book, or just google the interface name above for examples.

Glen

Comment

I'm having this same problem

Originally posted by gmazza
      Sure, just have your POJO implement the ApplicationContextAware interface. It will allow you to have a local reference to the app context files. Page 143 of Rob Harrop's Pro Spring book, or just google the interface name above for examples.

Glen
      But in my case I am trying to access a bean from within a JSF action controller bean I have written. My controller extends a base class (BaseController) which implements ApplicationContextAware. However when I try to access the applicationContext from within my action code in my subclass it is null and I get a NullPointerException. Do I need to do something else besides just implement the interface? Do I need to add something special to my applicationContext.xml? Again I am using MyFaces with Spring.

Comment

I have not done this before, but I believe you will also need to add your action controller bean to your applicationContext.xml file, so Spring can identify it and call the setApplicationContext() method from the ApplicationContextAware interface. I believe the action controller bean being used will also need to be instantiated by Spring. Hopefully others more knowledgable on this issue can give you better information.

Glen

Comment

Working...
        X