Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Using Environment Variables to filter PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer locations Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Environment Variables to filter PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer locations

I have a remote service which manages all the properties files for all my Java applications, now this service has 3 instances, one for each of our environments, Development, Beta and Live.

I want to be able to provide the base URL for the remote locations using Windows/Linux environment variables but I'm running in to some problems.

Code:
      	<bean name="databaseProperties" class="com.idna.config.springsupport.BasicHttpAuthenticatedUrlResource">
    		<constructor-arg value="http://${CONFIG_SERVICE}/properties/databases.xml" />
    		<property name="credentials" ref="autowiredCredentials" />
    	</bean>

<bean name="loggingProperties" class="com.idna.config.springsupport.BasicHttpAuthenticatedUrlResource">
    		<constructor-arg value="http://${CONFIG_SERVICE}/properties/logging.xml" />
    	</bean>

<bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
    		<property name="locations">
    			<list>
    				<ref bean="databaseProperties" />
    				<ref bean="loggingProperties" />
    			</list>
    		</property>
    		<property name="ignoreResourceNotFound" value="true" />
    		<property name="searchSystemEnvironment" value="true" />
    		<property name="systemPropertiesModeName" value="SYSTEM_PROPERTIES_MODE_OVERRIDE" />
    	</bean>

<bean class="com.idna.linkeddata.domain.PropertyTest" >
        	        <property name="configUrl" value="${CONFIG_SERVICE}" />
             	<property name="test" value="${corporate.database.username}" />
            </bean>
    The problem I have is that I can load the environment variable CONFIG_SERVICE (a simple url) and inject it to my test bean (PropertyTest) when I hard code the URL's to databaseProperties and loggingProperties beans. But not if they are filtered as shown above because to load CONFIG_SERVICE I need to instantiates the PropertyPlaceholder but obviously I can't do this without filtering the locations first. It's a catch 22.

I have tried adding another property placeholder but this will overwrite the one I want and not provide any of the remote locations.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Use Spel for this

instead of using the expression ${CONFIG_SERVICE} to access an environment variable CONFIG_SERVICE, use the Spel expression #{systemProperties['CONFIG_SERVICE']}. Also remember to read the online documentation here

Comment

This doesn't work as the SPEL doesn't seem to get a handle on the windows environment variables such as CONFIG_SERVICE , JAVA_HOME or Path. I've tried it programmatically and using annotations. It resolves the expression and returns an empty string. I am using spring 3.1 so SPEL works, it is just not retrieving windows environment variables.

Just to test I have 1 bean created and autowire it in a test class.

Code:

<property name="configUrl" value="#{ systemProperties['CONFIG_SERVICE'] }" />
          	<property name="random" value="#{ T(java.lang.Math).random() * 100.0 }" />
          </bean>
      configUrl comes out as null, random works as expected.

Comment

I ain't sure about windows as I don't have a Windows machine but it should work for sure. How are you defining environment variables in windows? one difference might be the use of
        <contextroperty-placeholder>
        which I assume that you're using. If instead using a
        <bean>
        approach, can you also try other approach and confirm?

Comment

Okay so it was a quick fix.

Instead of using systemProperty I changed it to systemEnvironment and everything is working as expected.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Here is my complete config for anyone that was interested.

Code:
          	<!-- Properties Store Configuration --> 

<bean name="databaseProperties" class="com.idna.config.springsupport.BasicHttpAuthenticatedUrlResource">
          		<constructor-arg value="#{ systemEnvironment['CONFIG_SERVICE'] }properties/databases.xml" />
          	</bean>

<bean name="loggingProperties" class="com.idna.config.springsupport.BasicHttpAuthenticatedUrlResource">
          		<constructor-arg value="#{ systemEnvironment['CONFIG_SERVICE'] }properties/logging.xml" />
          	</bean>

<bean name="autowiredCredentials"
          		class="com.idna.config.springsupport.AuthenticationCredentials">
          		<property name="username" value="username" />
          		<property name="password" value="password" />
          	</bean>

<bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer" >
          		<property name="locations">
          			<list>
          				<ref bean="databaseProperties" />
          				<ref bean="loggingProperties" />
          			</list>
          		</property>
          		<property name="ignoreResourceNotFound" value="true" />
          		<property name="searchSystemEnvironment" value="true" />
          		<property name="systemPropertiesModeName" value="SYSTEM_PROPERTIES_MODE_OVERRIDE" />
          	</bean>

<property name="configUrl" value="#{ systemEnvironment['CONFIG_SERVICE'] }" />
              	    <property name="random" value="#{ T(java.lang.Math).random() * 100.0 }" />
              	    <property name="test" value="${corporate.database.username}" />
                  </bean>

Comment

Working...
          X