Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Customer / Risk factors

Hi,

We are currently evaluating various frameworks for different tiers, and spring is one of them for business layer. One of the items we have to evaluate in Risk Factor/ Usage. Since spring is fairly new to the market, any body has any idea what is the usage / install base in other words which companies are using this and with which other frameworks (Struts + Spring + Hibernate etc).

Thanks in advance

Re:

You can look here: http://www.springframework.com/users.html for a list of Spring framework users.

There are also some general descriptions specifying how Spring is used.

Comment

Re: Spring Customer / Risk factors

Originally posted by munisht
      Hi,

We are currently evaluating various frameworks for different tiers, and spring is one of them for business layer. One of the items we have to evaluate in Risk Factor/ Usage. Since spring is fairly new to the market, any body has any idea what is the usage / install base in other words which companies are using this and with which other frameworks (Struts + Spring + Hibernate etc).

Thanks in advance
      My company, one of the biggest financial institution in central Europe uses spring for it's recent projects. We found it very usefull, reliable and simple. Recently we use springframework in our SMS gateway server, which handles lots of messages per day. We - of course - use Hibernate and Struts within our projects. I found very low risk factor using spring, because it is well thought, non-intrusive and - actually - simple.

Artur

Comment

We - of course - use Hibernate and Struts within our projects
        What makes you use Struts instead of the MVC parts of spring?

I had a discussion once about struts vs mvc and would like to hear other oppinions on this. I found Spring MVC easy and complete for the needs I am faced up to now. But I would like to increase my knowledge about when to use Struts anyway,

Comment

Re: Spring Customer / Risk factors

Originally posted by Martin Kersten
          We - of course - use Hibernate and Struts
          within our projects
          What makes you use Struts instead of the MVC
          parts of spring?
          We decided to use struts before spring 1.0 had been released. We evaluated
          WW (there were no WW2 yet at this time) and Struts. We've chosen struts
          because superior documentation, huge user base, tons of books, and pretty
          good IDE support (myeclipseide for instance). I know big players supports
          Struts (Oracle, IBM to name few) too.

Currently we are evaluating spring's MVC for our new projects, but won't
          switch to spring mvc within next half a year (at least).

Originally posted by Martin Kersten
          I had a discussion once about struts vs mvc and would like to hear other
          opinions on this. I found Spring MVC easy and complete for the needs I am
          faced up to now. But I would like to increase my knowledge about when to use
          Struts anyway,
          Well technically I found spring MVC more sophisticated than struts (except
          some minor things - like ability to pass 'beans' into MultiActionController
          - or I don't know how to do that - but we have pretty good Struts
          knowledge, and since there is very good struts and spring integration we are
          happy with this couple. If You want to read some thoughts about Spring MVC
          from Struts' user point of view I recommend You scroll through Matt Raible
          blog - he had recently very interesting entries regarding Spring vs Struts
          MVC.

Artur

Comment

Working...
          X