Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Trouble using SimpleNamingContextBuilder in integration test to create datasource Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble using SimpleNamingContextBuilder in integration test to create datasource

In my context, I have a handful of elements like this:
    Code:
    <jee:jndi-lookup jndi-name="jdbc/someds" id="someDataSource"/>
    In my appserver, I'll configure a datasource with this JNDI name, and that should be fine. However, in my integration test, I have to manually create this JNDI binding.

In my integration test class, I have code like this:
    Code:
        @Before
        public void init() {
            SimpleNamingContextBuilder builder = new SimpleNamingContextBuilder();
            DataSource  someds  =
                    new DriverManagerDataSource(System.getProperty("test.some.url"),
                                                System.getProperty("test.some.userName"),
                                                System.getProperty("test.some.password"));
            builder.bind("jdbc/someds", someds);
        }
    When I run this, I see errors like this:
    Cannot resolve reference to bean 'someDataSource' while setting bean property 'dataSource'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationExce ption: Error creating bean with name 'someDataSource': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file: java.naming.factory.initial
    Is this happening because it's trying to initialize the context before my "init()" method has executed?
    Is there something else I have to do in the "init()" method (or elsewhere) to make this work?

I noticed this: http://blog.jonschneider.com/2009/05...p-can-see.html , which seems to indicate that I need to set the "java.naming.factory.initial" property (perhaps in system properties) to an appropriate factory class name. I don't know what that would be in this case, being an integration test not running in my server container.

Comment

You need to execute that block in a method that runs on class init not before a test method because the context is already build before that. So put it in a method annotated with @BeforeClass (and make it static).

Comment

Good idea, but it didn't help. I even tried setting a breakpoint at the start of the method and running it in debug, but it doesn't hit the breakpoint, as it's failing before it gets there. I then tried setting breakpoints in SpringJUnit4ClassRunner, and it tries to initialize the context before it executes my "init()" method.

The start of my method now looks like this:
        Code:
            @BeforeClass
            public static void init() {
                SimpleNamingContextBuilder builder = new SimpleNamingContextBuilder();

Comment

I would have thought an alternative would be to remove the "RunWith" and "ContextConfiguration" annotations, and then manually instantiate the context after loading the datasource. For some reason that I don't understand, this had very little impact. It still seems like it's using the SpringJUnit4ClassRunner, and the result was the same.

Comment

If your class is extending one of the spring based classes those annotations are already on the super classes.

Comment

Working...
            X