Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
NullPointerException with TestContext.retrieveContextLoaderClass(TestContext .java:197 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NullPointerException with TestContext.retrieveContextLoaderClass(TestContext .java:197

I am trying to create some Integration tests and I am encountering an error when I try to run the test. I get an assert failure in the TestContext.java (121) indicating that the applicationcontext is null. However the test java file has the following line:

Code:
    @ContextConfiguration(locations = { "classpath:com/agg/dao/JpaIntegrationTests-context.xml" })
    The xml does exist but when I run the test Sysinternals procman never indicates that the xml file is being searched for. I am unclear as to what is really going on with this basic example.

File is being found if not you would have gotten FileNotFoundException.

Where is the NPE coming from? Is it from a collaborator that was supposed to be injected?

Are you running Spring's JUnit class runner? Your test should look like this for example:

Code:
    @RunWith( SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.class ) 
    @ContextConfiguration(locations = { "classpath:com/agg/dao/JpaIntegrationTests-context.xml" })
    public class TestContext {

@Autowired
        private SomeBeanInYourContext someBeanInYourContext;

@Test
        public void testSomething() {
            someBeanInYourContext.doSomething();
        }
    }
    You might want to add logging so you can see what spring is doing. Just add a simple log4j.properties to your classpath.
    Example log4j.properties
    Code:
    log4j.rootLogger=info, stdout

log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
    log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
    log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %p [%c] - <%m>%n

log4j.logger.org.springframework=info
    Last edited by nicolas.loriente; Jun 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Here is the complete test. I am still encountering the initializationError:

Code:
      package com.hwcs.veri.agg.dao;
      import static org.junit.Assert.assertEquals;
      import java.util.List;
      import org.junit.Test;
      import org.junit.runner.RunWith;
      import org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.Autowired;
      import org.springframework.test.context.ContextConfiguration;
      import org.springframework.test.context.junit4.AbstractTransactionalJUnit4SpringContextTests;
      import org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner;
      import org.springframework.test.context.transaction.TransactionConfiguration;
      import org.springframework.transaction.annotation.Transactional;
      import com.hwcs.veri.jpa.License;

@RunWith(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.class)
      @ContextConfiguration(locations = { "/JpaIntegrationTests-context.xml" })
      @TransactionConfiguration( transactionManager = "transactionManager", 
                                 defaultRollback    = true )
      @Transactional
      public class JpaIntegrationTests 
       extends     AbstractTransactionalJUnit4SpringContextTests 
      {
        @Autowired
        protected LicenseDao licenseDao;
        @Test
        public void getLicenses()
        {
          List<License> licenses = this.licenseDao.getLicenses();   
          assertEquals( "Expecting 1 license from the query",
                        super.countRowsInTable( "product_schema.license" ),
                        licenses.size() );                  
        }
      }
      Is there some particular step that needs to be done to run this as a JUnit test inside Eclipse?
      Last edited by sldahlin; Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Can you post the complete stack trace?

Comment

java.lang.NullPointerException
          at org.springframework.test.context.TestContext.retri eveContextLoaderClass(TestContext.java:197)
          at org.springframework.test.context.TestContext.<init >(TestContext.java:121)
          at org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManage r.<init>(TestContextManager.java:117)
          at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUni t4ClassRunner.createTestContextManager(SpringJUnit 4ClassRunner.java:120)
          at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUni t4ClassRunner.<init>(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java: 108)
          at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
          at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
          at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
          at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:513)
          at org.junit.internal.builders.AnnotatedBuilder.build Runner(AnnotatedBuilder.java:31)
          at org.junit.internal.builders.AnnotatedBuilder.runne rForClass(AnnotatedBuilder.java:24)
          at org.junit.runners.model.RunnerBuilder.safeRunnerFo rClass(RunnerBuilder.java:57)
          at org.junit.internal.builders.AllDefaultPossibilitie sBuilder.runnerForClass(AllDefaultPossibilitiesBui lder.java:29)
          at org.junit.runners.model.RunnerBuilder.safeRunnerFo rClass(RunnerBuilder.java:57)
          at org.junit.internal.requests.ClassRequest.getRunner (ClassRequest.java:24)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestR eference.<init>(JUnit4TestReference.java:32)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestC lassReference.<init>(JUnit4TestClassReference.java :25)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestL oader.createTest(JUnit4TestLoader.java:41)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestL oader.loadTests(JUnit4TestLoader.java:31)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:452)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
          at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)

As I modified my last post to indicate is there some particular step that needs to be done to run this as a JUnit test inside Eclipse?

Comment

Working...
          X