X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing original line after using tokenizers

How can I get original line read from file after I have read and tokenized it using tokenizers and field-set mappers ? I want to split good and bad lines . After reading/searching I believe I have lost original item once once I mapped to Java object.
    Thanks.

It's not as common a requirement as you might think, so you don't find a ready-made API for it in the framework. A FieldSet is a very low level abstraction, so you can pretty much get the line from there. The best solution I have seen is a composite item type that contains a domain object and the input field set,

Comment

Dave, Thanks for your reply. I would have been able to recreate the line from FieldSet if I would have read all the fields. I am reading limited number of fields from my long fixed-length line. It will be redundant to read all fields. Even if I do that and use composite item type, I will have to "recreate" the line which is not good idea as I will have to know formats of all other fields.

I am not sure if this is not common requirement. Its common to send back problematic records back to the sender of the file . The sender may correct it manually and send all the records again as new input file.

Is there any type of reader which just reads line as is ? Something like "PassThroughReader" ? May be I can use composite pattern there to collect lines as is and also map to my domain objects using FieldSet mappers.

Comment

That's another option. In either case you don't need a custom reader, just plug a LineMapper into the existing reader. A pass through LineMapper is trivial to write (so not in the framework a far as I know).

Comment

Hi Dave,
          Thanks for response again. I just checked, PassThroughLineMapper is already there !. I think its for same purpose . My current reader is already PatternMatchingCompositeLineMapper using LineTokenizer mapping to domain objects. How can I plug in additional PassThroughLineMapper into it , is it possible to map input line to more than one domain object ? ( Here second domain will be just String )

Comment

Sounds like you just need to push the PatternMatchingCompositeLineMapper down to an ItemProcessor. Or use an extra composite wrapper around the PatternMatchingCompositeLineMapper and the PassThroughLineMapper.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
              X