X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Partitioning step execution

First of all, My apology for this lengthy post.

I have a batch job that reads from a database(Oracle 10g) table, process and writes to a flat file. Data volume is 1.5 million records.

I took Partition approach and able to create the partitions. However when running the job, only the master step and one slave step(myStep : partition0)
    are actaully reading, processing and writing data. Remaining steps are completed with 0 read/writes. The Reader, Processor and Writer are in Step scope.

Here is a sample scenario(with 2715 records) I tested before running actual 1.5 million records.

1. Created a custom partition handler similar to ColumnRangePartitionHandler with gridSize = 4 and used SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor.
    2. Used JdbcCursorItemReader to read from the table by rownum.
    3. When I checked batch_step_exectuion table it has myStepMaster, myStep : partition0, myStep : partition1, myStep : partition2, myStep : partition3.
    4. Both myStepMaster and myStep : partition0 read 679 recs. Only partition0's 679 recs were written to flat file and these steps are in 'COMPLETED' status.
    5. myStep : partition1, myStep : partition2,myStep : partition3 are completed with 0 read/write.
    6. Eventhough, there is a seperate executionContext for each partition, still I am not able to read, process and write all 2715 recs with multi threads. I tried this scenario with 3 taskExecutors and no luck.

Please see my job.xml file and help me to read, process and write 2715 recs with 4 partitions each with 679 recs concurrently.

Code:
    <job id="myJob" xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/batch">
    		<step id="myStepMaster">
    			<partition step="myStep" partitioner="partitioner">
    				<handler grid-size="4" task-executor="taskExecutor" />
    			</partition>
    		</step>
    	</job>
    	<beans:bean id="partitioner" class="com.xxx.CustomPartitioner" >
    		<beans:property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
    		<beans:property name="table" value="TAB1" />
    		<beans:property name="column" value="rownum" />
    	</beans:bean>
    	<beans:bean id="taskExecutor" class="org.springframework.core.task.SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor" />
    	<!--
    	<beans:bean id="taskExecutor" class="org.springframework.core.task.SyncTaskExecutor" />
    	<beans:bean id="taskExecutor" class="org.springframework.scheduling.concurrent.ThreadPoolTaskExecutor" />
    	<beans:bean id="taskExecutor" class="org.springframework.scheduling.concurrent.ConcurrentTaskExecutor" />
    	-->	

<step id="myStep" xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/batch">
    		<tasklet>
    			<chunk reader="myItemReader" processor="myProcessor" writer="myItemWriter" 
    						commit-interval="30" />
    			<listeners>
    				<listener ref="fileNameListener" />
    			</listeners>
    		</tasklet>
    	</step>

<beans:bean id="fileNameListener" class="com.xxx.OutputFileListener" scope="step">
    		<beans:property name="path" value="file:./temp/partitions/" />

<beans:bean id="myItemReader" scope="step" autowire-candidate="false" parent="itemReaderParent">
    		<beans:property name="sql">
    			<beans:value>
                    <![CDATA[
                        select * from TAB1 where rownum >= ? and rownum <= ?
                    ]]>
    			</beans:value>
    		</beans:property>
    		<beans:property name="preparedStatementSetter">
    			<beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.core.resource.ListPreparedStatementSetter">
    				<beans:property name="parameters">
    					<beans:list>
    						<beans:value>#{stepExecutionContext[minValue]}</beans:value>
    						<beans:value>#{stepExecutionContext[maxValue]}</beans:value>
    					</beans:list>

<beans:bean id="itemReaderParent" class="org.springframework.batch.item.database.JdbcCursorItemReader" abstract="true">
    		<beans:property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
    		<beans:property name="rowMapper">
    			<beans:bean class="com.xxx.MyRowMapper" />

<beans:bean id="myProcessor" class="com.xxx.MyProcessor" scope="step" />

<beans:bean id="myItemWriter" class="com.xxx.MyItemWriter" scope="step">
    		<beans:property name="myDao" ref="myDaoImpl" />

<beans:bean id="myDaoImpl" class="com.xxx.myDaoImpl" scope="step">
    		<beans:property name="itemWriter">
    			<beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemWriter">
    				 <beans:property name="resource" value="#{stepExecutionContext[outputFile]}" />
    					<beans:property name="lineAggregator">
    						<beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.transform.DelimitedLineAggregator" >
    							<beans:property name="delimiter" value=","/>
    							<beans:property name="fieldExtractor">
    								<beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.transform.BeanWrapperFieldExtractor" >
    									<beans:property name="names" value="p1,p2,p3,p4" />
    Thanks in advance.

You probably want your item reader to be scope="step" otherwise the 4 partitions will be trying to use the same instance (which will have only one of the input contexts bound to it).

Comment

Hi Dave,

My ItemReader, processor and ItemWriter are in scope="step". I verified that there are separate step execution contexts for each partition and all are tied with a same job_exectution_id. Please check my config file and help me to resolve this problem.

Thank you.

Comment

I think you need to verify the SQL works as you expect (I'm not sure that it does).

You should also be able to see the binding of the execution context to the reader logged at DEBUG level in org.springframework.batch.core.scope. I think the expression looks OK for Spring 2.5, but you need to quote the map key in 3.0.

Comment

I figured out the problem with my SQL query and fixed it. Now partition approach is working great as expected. Thank you Dave.

Comment

Working...
          X