Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updatetable JdbcCursorItemReader

Hello,

we are converting programs with a complex business logic, we didn't want to change. In this programs updateable cursors are used for tables with no primary key.

In JDBC 2.0 API there is a posibility to update, delete and insert rows in a Resultset.

Can this be done with Classes from Spring Batch too, or do I have to write my own extension of the JdbcCursorItemReader?

I'm looking for something like this:

// open connection, prepare Reader ...
    itemReader.open(executionContext);
    ResultBean resultBean = null;
    while ((resultBean = itemReader.read()) != null)
    {
    if(condition)
    {
    itemReader.deleteRow();
    // or
    resultBean.setField1(newValue);
    itemReader.updateRow(resultBean);
    }
    }
    //cleanup ...

The ItemReader is not the right place to make updates. I would probably use a regular Jdbc*ItemReader to generate primary keys and then use the updateable cursor code in an ItemProcessor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Syer View Post
      The ItemReader is not the right place to make updates. I would probably use a regular Jdbc*ItemReader to generate primary keys and then use the updateable cursor code in an ItemProcessor.
      Like I mentioned in my post, there are tables with NO primary keys (ugly I know, but existing and won't change in near future). Imagine you want to eliminate duplicate rows. With a key existing of ALL columns, you would destroy all equal columns, but you want only to delete all but the first column.

e.g.
      before
      Name Prename ExPresident
      Reagan Ronald 1
      Reagan Ronald 1
      Reagan Ronald 1
      Denver John 0
      Denver John 0

after
      Name Prename ExPresident
      Reagan Ronald 1
      Denver John 0

The reader, processor, writer steps won't work in this case.-(
      For 'normal' batchprocessing this approach looks elegant, but in our case we need something like a updateable resultset.

Comment

Yes that is ugly - and hard to believe that it doesn't cause other major problems, but that's another discussion I guess with your DBA. Maybe you can make the "item" the resultset and pass it down to the processor for updates. Transactions are going to be a challenge, unless you can process the whole lot in one chunk (in which case reader/processor/writer is sort of irrelevant and you might as well just write a tasklet that manipulates the cursor directly like in your first post).

Comment

I have a very similar process where I have to scan through a number of records at a time, compare them, decide which one of those should be used and produce an output with that record. Can you elaborate on how to write a tasklet to do this? The size of the data I have to read is large (millions of rows). I would like to use the existing partition and JdbcPagingItemReader functionalities provided. Can I inject the reader into a tasklet?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X