Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Example of using Spring Integration & Batch to poll file system? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Example of using Spring Integration & Batch to poll file system?

Hi,

I need to poll the file system for a file and launch a job when a file arrives in the directory.

From reading around it seems like using Spring Integration & Spring Batch together are the way to do this.

Is there an example of this anywhere I could look at? There seems to be a presentation done on this at Spring One but I can't find the actual presentation anywhere.

I've just read all the Spring Batch docs, and don't have time to read all the Spring Integration stuff too right away, so a quick start of how to use the two together would be good.

Thanks,
    Sarah

I am using Quartz scheduler to constantly poll the directory and kick off processing when file arrives. The integration is quite simple. Samples provided with batch should have an example.

Comment

There has to be a better way but this is what I came up with

I've been looking at this thread hoping someone would answer, because I've been wondering how to accomplish this very task.

I'll caveat what I did with the following:
      New to Spring Batch
      New to Spring Integration
      And as evidenced by my Spring in Action Book, I haven't used Spring in general since before 2.0.

Integration Part
      There's a whole bunch of examples on how to set up polling so really no need to go into it here.

Service Activator
      Consumes files from inbound-adapter
      Code:
      JobParametersBuilder builder = new JobParametersBuilder();
      builder.addString("input.file", file.getAbsolutePath());

JobExecution jobExecution = this.getJobLauncher.run(this.getJob, builder.toJobPareters());

Batch Part

Code:
      <batch:job id="readCSVJob">
        <batch:step id="step1">
          <batch:tasklet>
            <batch:chunk comit-interval="500" reader="CSVItemReader" writer="CSVPersistToDBWriter"/>
          </batch:tasklet>
        </batch:step>
      </batch:job>

<bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemReader" id="CSVItemReader" scope="step">
        <property name="resource" value="file:#{jobParameters[file.input}"/>
        ... line mapper defined here
      </bean>

Like I said I really hope there's a better way of accomplishing this, because it seems just a bit hackish. As I come to know the project a bit better I will come up with something a bit more elegant, but for the time being it works, and it allows me to move on to other things.

Good luck!
      j

Comment

That's how I'm doing it...I have a SI file activator that looks for new files, pushes to a ServiceActivator endpoint that launches the batch using the input file. There's a little more to it in my case (I'm doing some file transformations and moving them to another directory) but the basic idea is the same.

Comment

Service Activator
          Consumes files from inbound-adapter
          Code:
          JobParametersBuilder builder = new JobParametersBuilder();
          builder.addString("input.file", file.getAbsolutePath());

JobExecution jobExecution = this.getJobLauncher.run(this.getJob, builder.toJobPareters());

Batch Part

Code:
          <batch:job id="readCSVJob">
            <batch:step id="step1">
              <batch:tasklet>
                <batch:chunk comit-interval="500" reader="CSVItemReader" writer="CSVPersistToDBWriter"/>
              </batch:tasklet>
            </batch:step>
          </batch:job>

<bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemReader" id="CSVItemReader" scope="step">
            <property name="resource" value="file:#{jobParameters[file.input}"/>
            ... line mapper defined here
          </bean>

jason
          How would you initialize the job/launcher details from the bean configuration inside the service activator class
          Last edited by msns3ka; Jan 31st, 2010, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Init of Job Information

If I understand your question correctly. I really didn't do anything different than normal Spring injection. Which is to say that I just injected the Job and the JobLauncher into the ServiceActivator class defined in Application Context.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonnic View Post
              If I understand your question correctly. I really didn't do anything different than normal Spring injection. Which is to say that I just injected the Job and the JobLauncher into the ServiceActivator class defined in Application Context.
              Thanks Jason, I got it...[I am a newbie to spring] ....I think with Spring you have to think in terms of DI as opposed to conventional programming methods. Spring is Awesome!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, I'm going for the Spring Integration route. With quartz I think that every time the job runs and there's no file there to process, I would get an entry in the Spring job repository database.

Attached is my prototype spring integration configuration file, in case it's useful for anyone else.

Comment

Hello,i'm new in spring batch i want an example of spring batch + quartz

Comment

Working...
                  X